Bournemouth University invites prospective PhD students to apply for its various PhD studentships in the media school for the 2015/16 academic session. Outstanding and successful candidates will undertake fully funded, defined research projects that will enhance their thriving research culture and offer even more potential for societal or cultural impact and commercial exploitation.
BU funded studentships include:
- 3D Facial Expression Editing
Lead Supervisor: Dr Hongchuan Yu
- Physical wireframe-controlled skin deformation for character animation
Lead Supervisor: Dr Lihua You
- Virtual Assistant (VA)
Lead Supervisor: Dr Xiaosong Yang
- Robot Controllers for Character Animation
This studentship is for 3 years, and it is expected to begin in January 2015.
Lead Supervisor: Dr Richard Southern
- Entangled Media Histories: New Approaches to the History of Northern European MediaMS Chignell, Hugh. This studentship is for 3 years, and it is expected to begin in January 2015.
Lead Supervisor: Professor Hugh Chignell
Worth of Award
- Funded candidates will receive a maintenance grant of £14,000 (unless otherwise specified) per annum, to cover their living expenses and have their fees waived for 36 months.
- In addition, research costs, including field work and conference attendance, will be met.
Location of study
Bournemouth University, UK
- Candidates for funded PhD studentship must demonstrate outstanding qualities and be motivated to complete a PhD in 3 years.
- All candidates must satisfy the University’s minimum doctoral entry criteria for studentships of an honours degree at Upper Second Class (2.1) and/or an appropriate Masters degree.
- An IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 minimum (or equivalent) is essential for candidates for whom English is not their first language.
- In addition to satisfying basic entry criteria, BU will look closely at the qualities, skills and background of each candidate and what they can bring to their chosen research project in order to ensure successful and timely completion.
- Funded Studentships are open to both UK/EU and International students unless otherwise specified.
Level of study
How to Apply
- Please complete the application form BU Research Degree Application 2014 (Word 296 kb) and submit it via email to the School Research Administrator:
- Jan Lewis – email: [email protected]
- Further details about Research Degree Programmes available at BU and general information about being a PhD Researcher at BU can be found on the Graduate School website.
Deadline: The various studentships have varying deadlines. They include:
- Entangled Media Histories: New Approaches to the History of Northern European MediaMS Chignell, Hugh: September 5, 2014
- Robot Controllers for Character Animation: August 26, 2014
Virtual Assistant (VA): July 31, 2014
- 3D Facial Expression Editing: July 9, 2014
- Physical wireframe-controlled skin deformation for character animation: July 31, 2014