Akademie Schloss Solitude invites young artists, scholars, scientists, and economic professionals to apply for the 2015-2017 residency fellowship in Germany. Fellowships are granted for three to twelve months and successful fellows must be able to speak one of the following three languages: German, English or French.
Worth of Award
- Fellowships are usually awarded for a period between three and twelve months.
- Free accommodation is included, and fellows are awarded € 1,100 monthly.
- Fellows are provided with a furnished living/working studio (including electricity, water and heating).
- Travel expenses for arrival and departure in Stuttgart will be covered on a one-time basis.
- As a rule, the studios are usually only equipped for one person (due to their size).
- Fellows may use the Akademie’s ateliers (wood and metal) under the supervision of the resident managers.
Optional additional benefits to be adjusted according to the current budget situation:
- Rent subsidy in the case of double housekeeping.
- Transport expenses subsidy for the carriage of materials and books to Stuttgart and from Stuttgart to the fellow’s home town.
- Project funding and one-off materials subsidy.
- Subsidized health insurance in the case of non-EU fellowship candidates.
Location of study
Akademie Schloss Solitude, Stuttgart, Germany
- You are aged up to 35 years, or you have completed a university or college degree within the last five years.
- You have completed your academic studies.
Please note that applications from those still enrolled in degree programs during the application round will not be considered. Graduate students may submit applications.
- A limited number of fellowships are awarded regardless of the applicants’ age. Decisions relating to the above will be made by the responsible juror.
- Would you like to apply as part of an artist group? In this case, each group member must fill in an application form on their own behalf. However, the various applications must be sent in a single application/mailing with the joint work samples. Artist groups applying online are asked to upload the same materials and refer to the group application.
- Knowledge of German, English or French is a prerequisite for application.
- If you have applied for a fellowship from the Kunststiftung Baden-Württemberg (Baden-Württemberg Art Foundation), whose application procedure runs at the same time, you may not apply for an Akademie Schloss Solitude fellowship.
- Former fellows of the Akademie Schloss Solitude cannot apply again.
- The Solitude fellowship is a residency fellowship. At least two thirds of the fellowship period must be spent at the Akademie.
- All fellows must have their permanent residence in Stuttgart for the fellowship’s duration (obligation to register residence).
- Applicants whose applications are refused during a specific selection procedure may send in applications during two other rounds (maximum). Applicants are obliged to register and pay the application fee (it’s an administration fee) of € 15 (no return of materials). This fee applies only to applicants from industrialized countries.
International artists are invited to apply from the following disciplines:
- Architecture (design, landscape architecture, urban planning)
- Visual Arts (including performance art)
- Performing Arts (stage design, dramatic texts, dramaturgy, musical theater,
performance, direction, drama, dance)
- Design (fashion, costume, product and furniture design, visual communication)
- Literature (essay, criticism, poetry, prose, translation)
- Music/Sound (interpretation, sound installation, sound performance, composition)
- Video/Film/New Media (incl. video installation, fiction and documentary) as well as in the art, science & business program:
- Social Sciences (with a focus on culture and the politics of space)
- Economy/Economics (with a focus on urban policy)
- Culture & Law (with a focus on authorship)
All applicants from industrialized countries are to pay the registration fee. Industrialized countries include:
- Belarus, Republic of
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Slovak Republic
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
Applicants from industrialized countries are those living, working or on fellowships in developed countries during the application round (individuals who are currently enrolled on university or college programs are not eligible). The applicant’s nationality is irrelevant.
Level of study
Akademie Schloss Solitude sponsors young artists, scholars, scientists, and economic professionals via residency fellowships only.
How to Apply
- Simultaneous applications for fellowships from the Kunststiftung Baden-Württemberg GmbH and from the Akademie Schloss Solitude are not permitted.
- Applicants can apply online via their application portal (see link below)
- If you would like to apply, you will have to decide first if you would like to apply online or if you would like to hand in a postal application.
- If you decide to hand in a postal application, you will be able to download the application form after registering and send all materials by post
- If you decide to apply online you will be guided through the online application and asked to upload your portfolio as pdf (maximum 20 MB). Linking to soundcloud and vimeo is possible. Please note: Once the application type has been chosen (post or online) it cannot be changed anymore!
- Please send your application as a single mailing to the following address:
Akademie Schloss Solitude
Deadline: application closes October 31, 2014
Click to read more about the scholarship