The 2018-2019 Skye Cambridge Scholarship for South Africans is now open for applications. The Skye Cambridge Scholarship is open to citizens of South Africa to study for a PhD at the University of Cambridge, UK. Applicants are nominated by faculty deans at South African universities to the Sky Foundation for consideration.
The Skye Foundation was established in 1997 by the Zylstra Family Trust to fund postgraduate scholarships in South Africa and abroad.
A number of scholarships are awarded annually to South African postgraduates who have distinguished themselves academically and have been nominated for consideration by faculty Deans. The scholarships are awarded on the basis of outstanding academic achievement in any discipline and are tenable worldwide.
The Foundation works with the Cambridge Trust to offer the Skye Cambridge Scholarship, available to Master’s and PhD applicants in any academic subject.
Subject: Any subject
Worth of Awards
- University Composition Fee
- College Fee
- Annual stipend (sufficient for a single person)
- Candidates must be citizens of South Africa
- Candidates must be nominated to the Skye Foundation by faculty deans at South African universities; the Skye Foundation does not accept applications direct from candidates
- Successful candidates will be required to sign an undertaking to return to South Africa on completion of their studies.
How to Apply
- Initial application must be made to the University of Cambridge via the normal Graduate Admission and Scholarship Application Form. See prospectus for details
- Make it clear in your personal statement in Section B of the GRADSAF that you want to be considered for the scholarship and explain how you believe you meet any specific criteria of the scholarship
- Contact your faculty dean in the South African university you graduated from or work to nominate you
- In the section on ‘Personal funds’ that you have available, you should include significant income from all sources, including salaries, business profit, rents, dividends etc
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in South Africa by the Skye Foundation.
Deadline: the deadline for applications to the LLM in Cambridge in 2018-19 is 15 November 2017
To read the University prospectus, and to apply for admission, click here.