The Sol Plaatje Institute for Media Leadership (SPI) at Rhodes University’s School of Journalism and Media Studies invites applications for four scholarships from South African students who wish to register for the SPI’s Postgraduate Diploma in Media Management (PDMM) in 2012.
The PDMM is a one-year full-time programme designed to provide people working in the media industry with skills and knowledge they need to perform more effectively in their organisations and to fast-track their careers to management positions.
The PDMM is equivalent to an honours degree and combines rigorous theoretical and practical grounding. The diploma is composed of eight compulsory modules covering media economics and financial management; media markets, audiences and advertising; managing media content; managing circulation and distribution; media management and leadership; media management contexts, policy and institutions; new media and convergence; and human resources.
Worth of Awards
The scholarships, which cover full accommodation at Rhodes University, the PDMM tuition fees, medical insurance, books and stationery and a small subsistence allowance, are sponsored by MTN.
- Only South African students are eligible to apply for these scholarships
- Applicants should ideally have completed an undergraduate degree from a recognised university
- Experienced media practitioners with diplomas in journalism or mass communication studies will also be considered.
How to Apply
Students wishing to apply for these scholarships need to:
- Complete the Rhodes University’s standard Honours Application form and the New Student form; alternatively, they can request these application forms from SPI, telephone no: +27-046-603-8851
- Submit a detailed Curriculum Vitae, including contact details
- Submit a certified academic transcript; and
- Submit a 1000-word letter of motivation, which explains why the student is interested in doing the PDMM; how the PDMM will assist the student’s career and why the student believes she/he qualifies for the MTN scholarship.
The CV, academic transcript and letter of motivation may be submitted by email to Linda Snam
([email protected] ), or faxed to her at +27-046-622-9591, clearly indicating which scholarship the students is applying for.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2011. No late applications will be considered
For more information, and to apply, download the scholarship announcement by clicking here (PDF).