Applications are invited for Harvard Academy Scholars Program which is opened to scholars from all countries. Fellowships are awarded to undertake sustained projects of research and/or acquire accessory training in their chosen fields and areas.
The Academy Scholars Program identifies and supports outstanding scholars at the start of their careers whose work combines disciplinary excellence in the social sciences (including history and law) with a command of the language, history, or culture of non-Western countries or regions. Their scholarship may elucidate domestic, comparative, or transnational issues, past or present.
Worth of Award
- The competition for these awards is open only to recent PhD (or comparable professional school degree) recipients and doctoral candidates.
- Those still pursuing a PhD should have completed their routine training and be well along in the writing of their theses before applying to become Academy Scholars; those in possession of a PhD longer than three years are ineligible.
- Each year four to five Academy Scholars are named for two-year appointments. Academy Scholars are expected to reside in the Cambridge/Boston area for the duration of their appointments unless traveling for pre-approved research purposes.
- Postdoctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $67,000, and predoctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $31,000. This stipend is supplemented by funding for conference and research travel, research assistants, and health insurance coverage.
- Some teaching is permitted but not required.
- Applications are welcome from qualified persons without regard to nationality, gender, or race.
- The Academy Scholars Program is open to scholars from all countries and citizenships.
- Applicants who are already enrolled in or who have recently completed a PhD or equivalent doctoral program in the social sciences.
- Predoctoral candidates must have finished all field research and be in the writing stage of their dissertation at the time of application. If you have completed a PhD program, the PhD completion date must be within three years of our October 1 application deadline.\
- It is not necessary to apply specifically as a pre-doctoral or postdoctoral candidate, as the Selection Committee considers all applicants in one applicant pool. Do, however, indicate your anticipated completion date to the Committee.
- Finalists must be available to travel for a personal interview on our November interview date. The Harvard Academy will arrange and pay for all travel and hotel accommodations for the finalists to interview in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
How to Apply
Applications for the next class of Academy Scholars are due October 1 each year. There is no application form. The following materials are required for a complete application:
- a current curriculum vitae, including a list of publications (include 3 copies)
- a statement of the applicant’s proposed research—usually, preparing the dissertation for publication or completion—including intellectual objectives and planned methodological and disciplinary work (no more than 2,500 words; include 3 copies)
- an official copy of each graduate transcript
- three letters of recommendation
- a cover letter which succinctly states the applicant’s academic field, country or region of specialization, and proposed or actual research topic (include 3 copies)
Please do not staple materials. Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Application materials should be mailed to: The Academy Scholars Program Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies Weatherhead Center for International Affairs 1727 Cambridge Street Cambridge, MA 02138 USA For express mail services requiring a telephone number, use (617) 495-2137
Deadline: Apply before October 1, 2014. Finalists will be invited to Cambridge for interviews with the Senior Scholars on November 21, 2014.
Click here for and to apply