The Etisalat Prize for Literature is the first ever pan-African prize celebrating first time writers of published fiction books. The Prize aims to serve as a platform for the discovery of new creative talent out of the continent and invariably promote the burgeoning publishing industry in Africa.
Etisalat plans to bring some much needed awareness and acclaim to the art of Fiction writing while also applauding and rewarding the efforts of those who have ventured into this genre in recent times. The ‘Etisalat Prize for Literature’ wholly embodies the vision of bringing together celebrated high profile writers, book critics and academics from across the Continent and beyond in order to give credence and honor to ‘home-grown’ talent while also rewarding new entrants and encouraging further participation in this area.
Worth of Award
- The winner of the Etisalat Prize for Literature receives £15,000, a Samsung Galaxy Note and a Montblanc Meisterstuck
- In line with our vision of promoting upcoming writers, Etisalat will sponsor a book tour to three African cities.
- The winning writer will also embark on the Etisalat Fellowship at the University of East Anglia mentored by Professor Giles Foden (author of The Last King of Scotland) which will include significant opportunities to meet other writers, publishers and most importantly work on their second book.
- Shortlisted writers will win a Samsung Galaxy Note and also go on a book tour to two major African cities.
- The Etisalat Prize for Literature celebrates new writers of African citizenship whose first fiction book (over 30,000 words) was published in the last twenty four (24) months.
- For the purposes of this definition, first book means first printed production in book form of any type or genre.
- Authors and their publishers can be based anywhere in the world.
- An online Flash Fiction Prize will be launched later in the year driven entirely by social media – more information on this will be made available on our website.
- The Etisalat Prize for Literature is unique in that it also aims to promote the publishing industry at large and will therefore purchase 1000 copies of all shortlisted books which will be donated to various schools, book clubs and libraries across the African continent.
- Applications will be accepted via post only. Complete the attached entry form signifying acceptance of Etisalat terms and conditions. (See link below)
- Submissions will only be accepted from publishing houses.
- All books entered must have a registered ISBN number or equivalent.
- Entries for fiction books will be submitted by publishers who have published a minimum of ten (10) authors.
- Each publisher will be allowed to enter a maximum of three (3) books – however books maybe called in by the judges.
- Each entry will be required to be accompanied by Seven (7) copies of the book being entered along with acceptance of publicity terms.
- The Etisalat Prize for Literature is not open to employees of any organisation under Emirates Telecommunications Corporation with branded trade name Etisalat.
How to Apply
Entries fulfilling the criteria listed below will be accepted
- The book was first published between 01 May 2012 and 31 May 2014
- The application form should be submitted along with seven (7) copies of the submitted book to the following address:
- The book was first published in English and by an author of African citizenship
- All shortlisted and winning authors will cooperate fully with Etisalat corporate communications, making themselves available for interviews, events and other opportunities where possible
- Entries by non-African based publishers will require a co-publisher partnership with an African based publisher should any entries be shortlisted
Etisalat Prize for Literature
Building 2, Oriental Office Building
3, Lekki Road, Victoria Island
Contact Telephone: +234 (0) 818 111 0 222
Deadline: Application closes on August 8, 2014