State University of New York invites applications from prospective international students for its 2014 International scholarships. The university offers 3 scholarships to successful international students.
Alfred State is the State University of New York (SUNY) College of Technology located in Alfred, Allegany County, New York. It is one of the eight University Colleges of Technology within the SUNY system. The university is a modern campus set in the beautiful, rolling hills of upstate New York.
- International Student Scholarships: Two scholarships are automatically awarded to international students who qualify. An application is not necessary for these scholarships. These scholarships are only available to students beginning their studies in August.
- International Excellence Scholarship: Awards up to $7,000 to international students who meet two of the following four criteria: 213 TOEFL exam score (79-80 on Internet-based exam, 550 on paper exam), 3.25 college GPA (90 overall high school average may be substituted), 1200 (critical reading and math) combined SAT, and/or are a member of Phi Theta Kappa in good standing.
- International Merit Scholarship: Awards up to $3,000 to international students who meet two of the following four criteria: 195 TOEFL exam score (71 on Internet-based exam, 525 on paper exam), 3.0 college GPA (an 88 overall high school average may be substituted), 1100 (critical reading and math) combined SAT, and/or are a member of Phi Theta Kappa in good standing.
- Applicants must possess a recognized high school/secondary school diploma. Verification must be supplied to the Admissions Office (Students who have earned a university/post-secondary degree and provide official verification are exempt from this requirement).
- Applicants with previous university/post-secondary experience must submit an official transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution attended. If applicable, students must also supply proof of university/post-secondary graduation.
- Submit official SAT or ACT scores if applicable. Standardized test score (ACT or SAT) results are required for baccalaureate degree programs, for some scholarship considerations, and for those interested in intercollegiate athletics. Note: If a student entering an associate degree or certificate program submits standardized test scores, they are taken into consideration during the application review process. When multiple SAT score reports are submitted, the highest composite score (critical reading and math) is used.
- Applicants must submit proof of English proficiency. Please send an official score sheet of your examination results from the testing center (Alfred State’s TOEFL code is 2522). For information about the IELTS exam and how to send official scores, please visit www.ielts.org. Photocopies, scans, and faxed documents are not considered official.
- Please note: International students entering Alfred State through agents or special articulation agreements may not be eligible for these scholarships.
How to Apply
Complete all steps below. International Application Form (pdf)
- Submit evidence of financial support, including:
o The International Student Financial Statement/Form FSA-4 (pdf); and
o An official bank statement (copies are not acceptable) on bank letterhead. The bank statement must indicate that the applicant or sponsor has sufficient funds to pay for the first year of study in the United States.
- Submit the appropriate academic records from all secondary and post-secondary institutions you have attended, including:
o Official transcripts
o Matriculation certificates
o Mark sheets and/or diplomas
o Academic records must be official. A photocopy or a fax of a record without a fresh ink signature is not considered official. If the transcripts are not in English, have them translated into English and notarized/certified.
- Submit official TOEFL or IELTS score report from the testing center (Alfred State’s TOEFL school code is 2522).
- Submit official SAT or ACT scores if applicable. Submit a $50 USD non-refundable application fee in the form of a money order or cashier’s check. Pay to the order of Alfred State. Applicants may also wire money utilizing peerTransfer. Your application will not be processed until payment is received.
- Once an international student is accepted, an I-20 form is mailed with the acceptance letter to allow the student to apply for a student visa.
- Applicants must complete a 1-2 page personal essay with their application. The personal essay is to be written by the student in English. Examples of content include why you are applying to study in the United States, reasons for selecting the field of study chosen, work experience relevant to your field of study, special interests and abilities you have, plans for further study and/or employment after completion of your first degree, reasons why you want to study at Alfred, and how you can contribute to the campus.
- Print off all forms and mail originals to:
Alfred State, SUNY College of Technology
Admissions – International
Huntington Administration Building
10 Upper College Drive
Alfred, NY 14802-9951 U.S.A.
Deadline: Alfred State operates on a rolling-admissions basis. Recommended application deadline dates are October 15 for a January entry or May 15 for an August entry.
Click here for more details and to apply online