Applications for the PhD in Practice Programme at Academy of Fine Arts Vienna for the 2023/24 academic session are currently open.
The PhD in Practice program is built on a concept of arts-based research that relates to critical epistemologies. These epistemologies have been developed in the context of feminist, queer, postcolonial, ecological, post-marxist and other political and emancipatory projects. Inspired by these struggles, the program approaches arts-based research as a space for the negotiation of social, political, cultural and economic conflicts. It refers to a history of research in the arts that has been developed in dialog with an array of different fields. These include academia, activism, high art as much as pop and subculture.
The program is designed for a duration of four years. During this time the participants will develop their projects artistically, theoretically, and analytically. This is in coordination with the academic and artistic team of co-participants and faculty. Participants conceive, organize, document, and carry out independent and/or collaborative arts-based research. This is done in a PhD supervision environment that is dedicated to trans-disciplinary and international exchange.
Worth of Award
- Three PhD positions are available with a 75 percent employment contract with a duration of four years (payment according to B1, Section 49 Abs. 3KV. Currently it is pegged at 2,458 EUR/month before tax, including health benefits).
- These positions require residency in Vienna and participation in further research, teaching and administration in the realm of the PhD-in-Practice program.
- A degree (Magister, MA or Diploma) from a recognized university/academy, and submission of the required application material.
- Applicants with an ongoing artistic career are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
The application must contain:
- completed web application form
- curriculum vitae (including a list of exhibitions the applicant has contributed to and of publications or other artistic and scholarly work that has been published; pdf)
- project proposal (ten pages max; incl. bibliography; one and a half line spacing; pdf)
- abstract of the project proposal (one page max; one and a half line spacing; pdf)
- digital portfolio (a single pdf document, less than 5 MB)
- scan of the certificate(s) which proves that you received a degree (Magister, MA or Diplom) from a recognized/accredited university or academy
- Diploma Supplement (if available) and Transcripts (mandatory) of the highest academic degree completed. Tthe length of program and credits/ECTS) must be provided.
Deadline: Applications for the PhD in Practice Programme must be uploaded by February 28th, 2023.