The University of Edinburgh invites applications for the Andrea Levy Scholarship in the UK for the 2023/24 academic session.
The Andrea Levy Scholarships were established in 2020 in memory of multi-award-winning novelist, Andrea Levy. Born in London to Jamaican parents, Ms Levy held longstanding family and personal links to Edinburgh and to Scotland. The University of Edinburgh is honoured to contribute to its legacy by hosting this scholarship programme.
Worth of Award
The Scholarship will cover:
- your tuition fees*, and
- a stipend of £5,000 per annum to help with your living expenses
The Scholarship is tenable for the duration of your programme of study, which is typically four years, but can be longer.
This award does not affect your eligibility for an Access Edinburgh Scholarship (£1,000 – £5,000 per annum, depending on your circumstances), and both awards can be held at the same time.
The total available towards your living expenses is therefore up to £10,000 for every year of your course.
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- have one of the following categories of ethnicity: Black Caribbean; Black African; Black Other; Mixed – White/Black Caribbean; Mixed – White /Black African; or Other mixed background that includes Caribbean heritage. It particularly encourages applicants with any form of Caribbean heritage to apply.
- Be starting a first undergraduate full time degree programme at the University of Edinburgh in the 2023-24 academic year.
- Have been assessed for fee status as a ‘home’ student (meaning that you ordinarily live in Scotland, England, Wales or Northern Ireland).
- Have a household income below £34,000 per annum.
How to Apply
As part of the application process you will be asked to confirm the following information:
- Full name
- Student number (e.g. S1234567) or if not known your UCAS number
- Programme of study
- Name of School or College you are currently attending
- Email address
- Confirmation that you have applied, been assessed for and expect to be in receipt of the maximum level of support from the government through Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS), Student Finance (England, Wales or Northern Ireland) for tuition fees and maintenance loans and that you have provided consent to share your information with the University.
- Confirmation this is your first undergraduate degree programme, and you have not started a degree programme previously
- Confirmation you understand external representatives supporting this scholarship will be reviewing your application and any submitted documentation as part of the selection process.
- Agreement that your UCAS references (personal and supporting statements) will be used as part of the selection process.
Deadline: The deadline for applications for the Andrea Levy Scholarship is April 14, 2023.