Applications for the CEGA Fellowship Program for early-career African Social Scientists in 2023 are currently open.
The CEGA Fellowship Program equips early-career African social scientists with the skills to carry out rigorous impact evaluations of economic development programs. It also gives them the opportunity to become champions for evidence-informed policy. Selected researchers will audit courses, develop skills in impact evaluation, access a personalized mentorship program to develop their research ideas, and build their research networks.
Worth of Award
Successful fellows will be invited to join the Network of Impact Evaluation Researchers in Africa (NIERA).
Applicants to the CEGA Fellowship Program must:
Be a national of an East African or Anglophone West African country including the following:
- South Sudan,
- the Gambia,
- Sierra Leone,
- Burkina Faso,
- Cape Verde,
- Côte D’Ivoire,
- Sierra Leone,
- Somalia, and
Furthermore, they must be
- Be fluent in English;
- Have completed a Master’s degree or a PhD within the last 8 years, or be enrolled in a PhD program in economics, statistics, epidemiology/public health, or another social science discipline;
- Have a current affiliation with a research institution, university or other research organization in East or West Africa, preferably one that supports policy-relevant, quantitative social science research;
- [Resident Only] Plan to return to a research institute in East or West Africa after the resident fellowship at UC Berkeley or Northwestern University. If currently enrolled in a PhD program outside the African continent, scholars may complete their PhD before their return.
How to Apply
Please submit the following information and documents:
- Personal Statement (1 page)
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume: In your CV, please also include relevant quantitative coursework you have completed.
- Research Proposal: Not to exceed 2 pages.
- Evidence of Leave Approval from the applicant’s supervisor or department chair demonstrating support and certifying that, if the applicant is selected, he/she will be able to take a 4-month leave of absence.
- Name and contact information for two referees: Please provide a name, email, phone number, and affiliation for two individuals (supervisors, senior colleagues, professors) who can speak to your research capacity, quantitative skills, and qualifications for the CEGA fellowship.
- OPTIONAL: You may attach one working paper or publication.
Deadline: Thursday, February 23rd, at 5 pm GMT.