Applications for the S+T+ARTS Prize Competition in Austria in 2023 are currently open.
S+T+ARTS is an initiative of the European Commission, launched under the Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme to support collaborations between artists, scientists, engineers and researchers.
Worth of Award
- The winning artist(s) will receive prize money of €20,000. This amount is to be paid by direct bank deposit, after the Festival Ars Electronica 2023 and upon presentation of an invoice stating “Prize Money S+T+ARTS Prize 2023”.
- This is the only method by which Ars Electronica can transfer funds.
- The prize money can be paid as a net amount only if, approximately one week prior to the exhibition, Ars Electronica is provided with the original signed form ZS-QU1 (ZS-QU2 for legal entities); officially confirmed from the foreign tax authorities.
- Without this confirmation, Ars Electronica will be unable to pay the fee as a net amount and under international tax laws will have to retain 20% withholding tax (subject to any change in the rate of tax).
- Projects should not be older than two years or have to show a significant update or further development within the last two years.
- An artist may submit more than one work.
- Every submitted project must be, at the time of its submission, either totally completed or far enough along for the jury to be able to assess its quality and the likelihood of it being successfully implemented. The same applies to collaborative arrangements—at the time they’re submitted, they must already be up-and-running and in the implementation stage.
- No consideration will be given to entries that are purely concepts, ideas or proposals for collaboration.
How to Apply
- A video documentary (approximately 3 minutes in length)
- Images (JPG, TIF, BMP, PNG) at the highest possible resolution; compressed files (such as .zip or .lzh files) are not accepted.
- A clear, detailed description of the artistic concept, the form of interaction and technical implementation; since specific prerequisites have to be fulfilled for an onsite presentation to take place (e.g. in conjunction with the Ars Electronica Festival), the project’s specifications as to hardware & software and spatial requirements should be as detailed as possible. Moreover, the entrant must specify what he/she can provide on his/her own in order to stage such an onsite presentation, and what must necessarily be furnished by Ars Electronica Linz.
- A printable portrait photo and a biography of the artist.
- At the entrant’s option, additional material such as images, documents and drawings (as PNG or PDF) can also be submitted.
- The submitters are asked not to physically submit irreplaceable originals, as the entered material cannot be returned.
Deadline: The S+T+ARTS Prize Competition open call period ends on March 3, 2023.