PEN Presents invites applications for the PEN Presents Awards for Translators Worldwide in 2023 are currently open.
PEN Presents is open to translators at any stage in their career, and it particularly welcomes proposals from voices underrepresented in the translation community, heritage speakers and L2 translators, and those who do not have established access to publishers and commissioning editors. English PEN welcomes communication from translators who are keen to apply but unsure about the process and can guide potential applicants.
Worth of Award
12 shortlisted applicants will each be awarded a grant of £500.
This round of PEN Presents is open to:
- translators based anywhere in the world;
- translators at any stage of their career;
- works of fiction (including short fiction, drama, poetry, children’s literature, graphic novels, and illustrated literature) and non-fiction – but not purely academic work or magazines;
- works not yet published in English translation in any territory (where ‘published in English translation’ is taken to mean legally and with the consent of the rights holder translated and published in any form);
It’s also open to
- works of any era;
- works of any length;
- works where English translation rights (UK or World English) are available;
- works originally written/published in any language;
- works by writers from anywhere in the world.
Furthermore, it is open to proposals for
- works containing multiple languages.
- works to be translated from a bridge language.
- co-translations, and where co-translators are submitting a proposal they should use only one application form, and collate their CVs into one document. If a submission for a co-translation is shortlisted, the £500 grant will be split between the translators, and they should create only one 5,000- word sample.
How to Apply
Ensure you apply online via the official website.
Deadline: PEN Presents Awards is open for submissions from any language and region, closing January 31, 2023.