The University of Edinburgh invites applications for the Informatics Global PhD Scholarships in the UK for the 2023/24 academic year.
It is globally recognized for its research, development and innovation and has an international reputation for innovative research across a wide range of disciplines. According to the results of the 2021 Research Excellence Framework (REF2021), the University is ranked fourth in the UK based on the quality and breadth of its research – known as research power – and is Scotland’s top ranked institution.
The REF2021 results reveal that nearly 90 per cent of the University’s research activity is in the highest categories – 4 star and 3 star – which are classified respectively as ‘world leading’ and ‘internationally excellent’, a growth of 10 percentage points since the previous REF in 2014.
Worth of Award
Informatics Global PhD Scholars will receive full financial support for the duration of their PhD studies, for up to 3 years. This will include:
• Full funding of all tuition fees, including overseas fees if applicable
• An annual stipend at the rate set by the UKRI (indicatively, stipend levels for 2022/23 are £17,668; amount TBC for September 2023 entry);
• An additional research support fund of £2,000 per year for the first three years. This can be used for a variety of purposes approved by your supervisor including, but not restricted to, purchase of a laptop, attending conferences where you present a paper, and specialist software or equipment.
Applicants who submit a programme application to one of the eligible Informatics PhD programmes will automatically be considered for this scholarship; there are no restrictions based on nationality or domicile.
They must have applied to study full-time on one of the following eligible programmes within the School of Informatics:
- AIAI: Automated Reasoning, Agents, Data Intensive Research, Knowledge Management
- ANC: Machine Learning, Computational Neuroscience, Computational Biology
- LFCS: Foundations of Computer Science, Databases, Software & Systems Modelling
- ICSA: Comp. Architecture, Compilation & System Software, Networks & Communication
- IPAB: Robotics, Computer Vision, Computer Graphics and Animation
- ILCC: Language Processing, Speech Technology, Information Retrieval, Cognition
How to Apply
Apply online via the official website.
Deadline: The Informatics Global PhD Scholarships application deadline is Friday, January 27, 2023.