Applications for the Fashionomics Africa Contest for Fashion Entrepreneurs in 2023 are currently open.
The online competition is a challenge prize run by the African Development Bank that aims to celebrate African fashion brands that will change how we produce, buy, use and recycle fashion and that encourage a more sustainable shift in consumer practices.
Worth of Award
The winner will have the opportunity to win:
- A financial reward of USD 10,000 for the best sustainable and innovative brand;
- A Fashionomics Africa certificate;
- Access to a network of media insiders and industry experts;
- The possibility to take part in online events and share insights on key sustainability challenges facing the industry;
- The publication of the winner’s story on the African Development Bank’s website and Fashionomics Africa platform;
- The possibility to attend a Fashionomics Africa webinar as a panelist;
The finalists (2) will have the opportunity to receive:
- A promotion package to advertise the brand on Fashionomics Africa social media for a month;
- A Fashionomics Africa certificate;
- A branding kit (new logo, color palette, recommended fonts, letterhead, business card, email signature).
The winner and finalists will also benefit from networking, mentoring and capacity building opportunities offered by the competition partners:
- The contest is open to fashion entrepreneurs of 18 years of age and above (proof of age will be requested), operating in the textile, apparel, and accessories industry in Africa.
- Entrants must pursue environmentally friendly, sustainable and circular economy measures to qualify.
- Priority will be given to youth (18-35 years old) and women-led fashion businesses.
- Applicants should have an African passport and / or live in an African country and have an identification document like a passport, national ID Card or Voters Card issued in an African country.
- Participants must have launched a fashion business and operate in the textile (fabric making), apparel (clothing) or accessories (jewelry, bags, etc.) sector. Recently launched businesses are encouraged to apply. Proof of business registration will be requested.
How to Apply
The information to be provided in the application form will include:
- Personal information about the participant;
- Business information about the participant’s brand;
- Write-up (max. 1,000 words) to:
- Present the brand’s sustainable business model (from the materials used, to the production and end-life of the product) and provide information about products composition and materials;
- Explain what makes the brands’ flagship products environmentally friendly and innovative and demonstrate the brand’s vision and creativity;
- Explain how the brand intends to allocate and spend the funds, should it win the competition.
Applications should also include
- A short video (max. 3 minutes) to present the brand’s products*** and production processes.
- Pictures of the product(s) produced in different angles (at least front and back views) – maximum 5 items. The following information will be required for each product submitted:
- The materials used.
- The design process.
- The production techniques.
- The methods put into place to reduce the carbon footprint (if any).
- Information on the life of the product: durability, measures taken to extend the product’s lifetime and transparency.
- The year the product was released.
- Other attachments: 1 page visual/textual summary of the brand, look book, press book and any other relevant document.
Deadline: The deadline to submit applications for the Fashionomics Africa Contest is January 18th, 2023 at 23:59 GMT.