Applications for the International School for Young Astronomers Travel Scholarships for African Students in South Africa for the 2023/24 academic year are currently open.
This school will take place in South Africa over a three-week period with around 30 students being selected to participate. These chosen students will be from regions where fewer opportunities are available for students to be directly exposed to the full extent of up-to-date astrophysics. That is both in theory and observation. It is worthy of note that lecturers are invited experts from around the world.
Worth of Award
Acceptance to the school covers
- flights to and from South Africa (including domestic flights),
- accommodation and
- subsistence at the ISYA.
- This programme is aimed towards early graduate students (MSc/PhD) in Physics, Astronomy or Astrophysics from African countries.
- Consideration will also be given to final year BSc students with a strong intention of entering a graduate program on Astronomy and Astrophysics.
- All selected students are expected to commit 100% of their time to participate in all the planned activities held over the period.
How to Apply
- To apply for the school please fill in your academic information, motivation and a 3 page CV in the school application form.
- As part of the application you will also need to arrange two letters of recommendation to be sent to [email protected]
- The letters should be from your supervisor, a professional scientist or the Head of your institution/department.
The referees should send the letters to the above mentioned email address and NOT the applicant.
Deadline: March 31, 2023 marks the deadline for applications for the International School for Young Astronomers Travel Scholarships.