Applications for the Center for Community Media Small Business Reporting Fellowship in the USA in 2023 are currently open.
Small businesses have been enduring rising operating costs, shrinking sales, supply chain disruptions, and other challenges brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic and exacerbated by inflation. The unique stories of these businesses and the people running them – from the bodega employee to the street vendor and the family managing the corner restaurant – often go unreported.
Fellows will have the opportunity, under the guidance of an editor, to cover the small businesses in their communities and produce and publish/post in an established community media outlet three in-depth stories about the ongoing struggles facing owners and staff, as well as the new opportunities for attracting and sustaining business.
Worth of Award
Fellows will receive a one-time stipend of $2,500 upon publication/posting of the three stories.
- Journalists based in the NYC metro area
- Journalists working with a community media organization full time or part time, or as a freelancer with demonstrated work in the community media
- Media outlets can be print, digital, TV/video, radio/audio/podcasts
- Journalists willing to abide by the guidelines of the fellowship
How to Apply
- Stories must be rooted within a community in the NYC metro area and consist of on-the-ground reporting, community voices and fact-checked research-based data
- Minimum length of each story: 1,200 words
- Each story will include at least two photographs taken by the fellow, or provided with permission, and/or other multimedia
- Fellows working in broadcast media will produce audio or video stories, with a minimum duration of five minutes, that include original visuals and interviews
- Fellows will include an acknowledgement of the fellowship by including the following, or something similar, at the end of each published story or audio/video production
Deadline: Application deadline for the Center for Community Media Small Business Reporting Fellowship: Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 11:59 PM EST.