Applications for the GIJN Global Shining Light Award in the USA in 2023 are currently open.
Each year dozens of journalists and media workers are killed – and hundreds more are attacked, imprisoned, or threatened – just for doing their job. Many of these violations of free expression occur in developing or emerging countries, and quite often during military conflicts.
But there is another clear trend that emerges in analyses of global attacks on reporters and the media. More and more journalists are being killed, and media outlets attacked because they are carrying out important efforts in investigative journalism. This includes exposing uncomfortable truths, shining light on systematic corruption, and providing accountability in societies yearning for democracy and development. There are more journalists killed each year covering corruption and politics than are killed covering wars, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists.
In view of this, the Global Investigative Journalism Network presents the Global Shining Light Award, a unique award that honours investigative journalism in a developing or transitioning country, done under threat, duress, or in the direst of conditions every two years.
Worth of Award
Top winners will receive
- an honorary plaque,
- US$2,500, and
- a trip to the 2023 Global Investigative Journalism Conference to accept the award in front of hundreds of their colleagues from around the world.
The journalist, journalism team, or media outlet will have produced independent, investigative reporting which:
- Originated in and affected a developing or transitioning country;
- Was broadcast or published between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2022;
- Was of an investigative nature;
- Uncovered an issue, wrongdoing, or system of corruption which gravely affected the common good;
- And did so in the face of arrest, imprisonment, violence against them and their families, or threats and intimidation.
How to ApplyGlobal
Apply online for the GIJN Shining Light Award via the official website.
Deadline: Submissions deadline: February 28, 2023.