Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures invites applications for the Robert and Lisa Sainsbury Fellowships in the UK for the 2023/24 academic session.
SISJAC was founded in 1999 through the generosity of Sir Robert and Lady Sainsbury to promote knowledge and understanding of Japanese arts and cultures. In its second decade the Institute has formulated a renewed mission statement which aims to expand its intellectual horizons.
The mission of the Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures is to promote world class research and be a leader in the study of Japanese arts and cultures from the past to the present.
Working with its partners and funders, the Institute furthers its mission through:
- Creating collaborative and active global research networks; and
- Disseminating the results of its research; while
- Advancing outreach and educational activities.
Worth of Award
The six-month Fellowship carries a value of £12,000. One-year Fellowships are preferred.
- The Institute is offering several Fellowships to scholars who have received a PhD in any area of Japanese culture.
- Preference will be given to applicants working in the fields of visual studies, including but not limited to history of art, cultural heritage, archaeology, architecture, film studies, and digital humanities.
- Preference will also be given to Early Career Researchers, defined by the AHRC as “within eight years of the award of their PhD or equivalent professional training, or an individual who is within six years of their first academic appointment”.
How to Apply
Once completed, the application form should be emailed back to [email protected] In addition to the application form, please enclose:
- Curriculum Vitae (please include the date your PhD is expected to be conferred, if not already conferred) and
- Sample of writing (for example a published article, or a core chapter of the PhD)
All application documents must be in English.
In addition, two letters of reference should be sent by email or mail to arrive by the application deadline. If sent by mail, they should be signed and sealed and sent directly by the referee to the Sainsbury Institute, 64 The Close, Norwich, NR1 4DH, UK.
If they are sent by email, they should be emailed directly by the referee to [email protected]
Deadline: The closing date for application for the 2023-24 Robert and Lisa Sainsbury Fellowships is February 28, 2023.
To submit an application, please e-mail to obtain the application form.