Applications for the BBC Journalist GIST Nigeria for the 2023/24 academic year are currently open.
Gist Nigeria is BBC Africa’s pioneer co-production with a dynamic team that produces stories being talked about for the social media generation. Gist Nigeria offers in-depth reporting, focusing on the stories behind the news, its impact and how it affects the audience. It features analysis, studio discussions and hard-hitting interviews around the key issues that matter to Nigerians and West Africa. The programme also features stories covered by a selection of the BBC’s African services.
Worth of Award
- Reporting to the Editor, Gist Nigeria, your role as a Journalist (Reporter / Presenter) is to provide timely, expert and authoritative coverage of news and current affairs events for the flagship programme on multi-platforms including tv, digital, and online.
- You will supply material for broadcast in fluent broadcast-standard English.
- You are also expected you to report and present on news and current affairs in a timely, engaging manner which is suitable for the target audience.
- The successful candidate must have a demonstrable background in a relevant journalistic role, with first class knowledge of news that appeals to a Nigerian audience.
- A broadcast-level of English, written and spoken, is essential. Likewise, knowledge of one or more of Nigeria’s main languages (Hausa, Pidgin, Yoruba or Igbo) would be a distinct advantage.
- You will have notable experience of working across multi-platforms including TV, digital and social media.
- You will have an in-depth knowledge of news and stories related to the Nigeria and West Africa region. This is with a full understanding of Nigerian history, politics, social and cultural issues.
- A thorough understanding of the latest developments in storytelling is key.
- In addition, you will have an excellent on-screen presence, authoritative microphone voice and the ability to communicate effectively with the target audience.
- A track record of accuracy and impartiality and sound editorial judgement is essential.
How to Apply
All applications should be made online via the official website.
Deadline: The closing date for the BBC Journalist GIST Nigeria November 20, 2022.