The International Development Research Centre invites applications for the IDRC Research Awards for emerging Researchers in Canada and Developing Countries in 2023.
The IDRC strives to nurture emerging researchers in Canada and in developing countries who will apply their research in innovative ways to solve development challenges. Its research awards program helps to build the capacity and careers of individuals by funding academic study and mobility, research, the development of complementary skills, and hands-on experience.
It is committed to creating and fostering a respectful, diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace culture that reflects the people’s lives it impacts and the Canadian community it works within, where everyone can truly be themselves. To this end, it welcomes Indigenous peoples and persons from all races, ethnicities, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, as well as persons with physical or mental disabilities to be part of its team.
This year IDRC will offer research awards related to these development areas or themes:
- Climate-Resilient Food Systems,
- Democratic and Inclusive Governance,
- Education and Science,
- Ethics in Development Research,
- Global Health,
- Policy and Evaluation, and
- Sustainable Inclusive Economies.
All awards will be based in Ottawa except for the Global Health award that will be based in Nairobi.
Worth of Award
The researcher will receive a salary for one year ranging from CAD42,033 to CAD48,659
- For the awards based in Ottawa: Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and students from low or middle-income countries, enrolled in a Canadian university with a work permit valid for full-time work (37.5 hours per week) in Canada until April 30, 2024.
- For the Global Health award based in Nairobi, the candidates must hold Kenyan citizenship.
- Students who are enrolled in or who have completed a master’s program from a recognized university within the last three years
- Preference will be given to students who have completed a master’s degree
Other eligibility criteria include
- Applied for only one research award recipient opportunity
- Proposed research must focus on one or more developing countries on the OECD
- Field research component cannot be more than 3 months
How to Apply
Feel free to apply online via the official website.
Deadline: The deadline for submitting your completed application is Wednesday, February 1, 2023 – 18:59 pm.