The Society for Underwater Technology (SUT), through its Educational Support Fund, offers the annual scholarship awards to either undergraduate and postgraduate students undertaking studies that embrace relevant component areas of marine science, underwater technology or offshore engineering. Applicants are welcome to apply where they can demonstrate a clear interest in pursuing a career in a relevant area of underwater technology.
In 2014, the SUT Educational Support Fund will consider awarding up to six scholarships for fulltime students entering the last two years of their undergraduate course, or undertaking a postgraduate course. The undergraduate scholarship awards may continue throughout the remaining part of the degree course, subject to a satisfactory academic standard being maintained. This performance will be reviewed annually. (Note: re-application via the web site is necessary to be considered for continuance of the scholarship.)
Worth of Award
- The Society’s Educational Support Fund will award sponsorship of $5000 per annum for a full academic year. (50% paid end of February 2015 and remaining 50% paid June 2015)
- In addition to the financial sponsorship, SUT will aim to provide free attendance to relevant SUT professional development courses for successful candidates.
- SUT Scholars may apply for other sources of funding, and still be eligible for an SUT Sponsorship.
- The grants are open to any student studying in Australia, irrespective of age or nationality
- Postgraduate candidates should have a first degree in a relevant engineering or science subject, and have enrolled in a postgraduate course of study related to offshore engineering, marine science or underwater technology.
- Undergraduate candidates should have permission to proceed to their third or final year of their degree course.
- Scholarship applicants must be enrolled in full time education. Applicants who are employed full time are not eligible for the scholarship, however, part-time employment is acceptable.
- Applicants are required to be enrolled at university full-time for at least the first semester of 2015.
How to Apply
- You are to download the application form from their website (see link below)
- Complete and return the application form, academic transcripts and academic reference
- All SUT scholarship applicants are expected to join the SUT (which is free to students). Unsuccessful scholarship applicants will have the opportunity to attend SUT evening meetings and selected SUT courses (depending on availability) at Student rates.
- Selection will be on the basis of the information provided in the application form, the academic referees, and an interview of the short-listed candidates. It is important to ensure that all sections of the application are fully completed. Applicants will be informed of the outcome of the assessment before end October 2014.
Deadline: Students wishing to be considered for an SUT sponsorship award should complete and return the application form, academic transcripts and academic reference by Thursday, August 1, 2014.
Click here for more details and to apply online