The African Export-Import Bank invites applications for the Afreximbank Internship Programme for African Students for the 2022/23 academic session.
The Bank recognizes that as part of its mandate to promote and finance trade in Africa, it needs to facilitate a broader understanding of the problems of African trade and trade finance as well as the principles of trade finance, and specially structured trade finance, which is its operating model. By offering good students a chance for an internship with the Bank, it is expected that they will leave with a better knowledge of the Bank’s mandate and operating model, which they will put to use as they develop their careers, no doubt with direct benefits to the Bank and generally, to trade in Africa.
Worth of Award
The Bank will provide the following to successful interns on gratis terms:
- Before commencement, coverage of reasonable return fare transport costs to their internship location using the most economic and direct routing from their institution of learning, in line with the Bank’s travel policy;
- A monthly tax-free stipend of USD 800 payable at the end of each month, to help defray living costs;
- Accommodation in a hotel chosen by the Bank (bed and breakfast only) for one week during the induction period, on arrival to the internship location for interns, based on their previous location;
- Transfer to the hotel on arrival and vice versa on departure at the end of a successful internship programme; and
- Relevant visa for the duration of the internship programme, if so required.
The programme is open to students
- with proven enrollment in full-time undergraduate or postgraduate study programmes in a recognized institution of learning in the year of the internship. The Bank will be especially interested in candidates whose field of study is in the following fields: economics, business administration, finance, accounting, social sciences, statistics, law or related fields;
- who are nationals of the Bank’s member states;
- with fluency in English or French and a working knowledge of the other. Knowledge of Arabic or Portuguese will be an added advantage, and
- between 20 and 32 in the year in which they apply for the internship;
Similarly, it is important to note that
- Any other applicants as may be approved by the President;
- Children of Afreximbank staff are not eligible to participate in this programme.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to complete an online internship application form along with the following:
- Letter of application;
- Copy of their current CV;
- Copy of valid passport ;
- Certified copies of relevant academic certificates;
- Recommendation for internship from the institution of learning that they are attending. This should include the proposed period of internship up to a maximum of six months;
- Short Statement of Intent (maximum of 1 A4 page) indicating what they expect to gain out of the internship programme;