Applications for the Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation Science Without Borders Challenge in 2022 are currently ongoing.
The Science Without Borders Challenge is an international contest that engages students and teachers in ocean conservation through art. This annual competition inspires students to be creative while promoting public awareness of the need to preserve, protect, and restore the world’s oceans and aquatic resources.
Worth of Award
Winners of the Science Without Borders® Challenge will be awarded the following scholarships:
- 1st Place: $500
- 2nd Place: $350
- 3rd Place: $200
- This international art competition is open to all students 11-19 years old. Students age 10 may participate as long as they turn 11 by March 6, 2023 and proof of age, identity, and/or eligibility may be required.
- Students must be enrolled in primary or secondary school, or the home school equivalent.
- However, college and university students are not eligible for this contest.
- Similarly, all artwork must be an original work by the contestant and shall not infringe on any copyrights or any other rights of any third parties.
- Do not copy an idea from a past participants’ work and do not draw a character from a cartoon or movie.
- Note that the artwork must be 2D such as a painting or drawing. Acceptable media include paint, pencil, marker, crayon, ink, felt, and oil pastel.
- Using magazines, newspapers, or other non-original work is also not permitted. Digitally created artwork, including photographs, are not accepted.
- All submissions must be made by an individual artist as group submissions are not permitted.
When creating your artwork, you should think about these questions:
- Does your artwork reflect that you understand the theme of the contest?
- Does your artist’s statement also show that you understand the contest theme?
- Does your piece show that you have a good understanding of art and that you use these art elements, such as line, shape, form, value, composition, and color, to effectively portray the theme?
- Is your artwork original, inventive, and shows off your individual style?
- Is your artwork neat? Are there tears, smudges, and/or smear marks?
- Does your artwork invoke emotion for your viewers? Is it striking and memorable?
How to Apply
Submissions for the Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation must be made online. Email submissions are not permitted.
Deadline: The application period for the 2023 Science Without Borders Challenge is Monday, March 6, 2023 at midnight ET.