The African World Heritage Fund (AWHF) and partners invite applications for the 6th African World Heritage Youth Forum in Cameroon in 2022.
The Forum emphasizes the youth perspective of the World Heritage Convention towards promoting and increasing African youth participation. This is in the stewardship and promotion of World Heritage in Africa in a creative and innovative approach.
The forum aims to:
- Promote holistic youth development and participation by recognizing youth as vital actors and partners in the implementation of the 1972 World Heritage Convention.
- Generate and strengthen collaboration between youth and heritage stakeholders. This will be achieved through the promotion and preservation of World Heritage which requires partnerships of various stakeholders.
- Generate knowledge and interest for further promotion and preservation of World Heritage, therefore, enhancing sustainability.
- Expand the outreach of youth projects by promoting the regional and international exchange of information. This will happen through providing a platform for the creation of networks, exchange of knowledge, and sharing of experience and success stories between and among the youth across Africa.
- Raise youth awareness and appreciation of issues and threats facing Africa’s heritage while stimulating their involvement in World Heritage activities. That could bring direct economic benefits to local communities living in or around World Heritage properties in Africa.
- Motivate and equip young leaders with the tools to become catalysts of change.
- Encourage youth to improve their innovation and creative capacities in developing sustainable initiatives in their countries.
- Agenda 2063 and the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals
Worth of Award
The costs for the forum participation:
- return airfare,
- meals, and
- local transportation
will be covered by AWHF, ICCROM, and the Ministry of Arts and Culture of Cameroon in the Republic of Cameroon.
Twenty-five (25) young heritage champions from African countries (including 10 from Central Africa countries) will be selected for the forum. Applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- African citizens between the ages: of 21 – 35;
- Minimum requirements: a post-secondary certified training and/or qualification;
- Fluency in French (being the working language of the Forum) and ability to communicate in at least one of the other four official languages of the African Union (English, Portuguese, Arabic, and Swahili);
- Available for the entire duration of the Forum. Experienced in the field of World Heritage; working on conservation and promotion of heritage in their regular activities, along with other young people.
- Active on online media and digital platforms (social media e.g. Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc).
- Personal attributes: motivated, active, and driven individuals interested in learning how to assess the viability, feasibility, and desirability of social business ideas while engaging in a World Heritage network of young Africans eager to implement the outcomes of the forum in their home countries.
Note: Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Each applicant should submit the following application package for the 6th African World Heritage Youth Forum:
- The completed application form;
- Curriculum Vitae (2 pages maximum);
- Motivational letter and
- A 1-minute video of your current engagement in World Heritage
Deadline: September 4, 2022, by 1 pm GMT.