Meedan invites applications for the Meedan Check Global Independent Media Response Fund in the USA in 2022.
The Check Global Independent Media Response Fund is designed to respond to the hyperlocal needs of
- media practitioners,
- independent media newsrooms,
- fact-checking groups,
- citizen journalism projects,
- human rights defenders,
- researchers, and
- technology and digital literacy advocates in North Africa Western Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Asia-Pacific region.
Worth of Award
- The fund is making available micro-grants of up to $5,000 for individuals, and up to $15,000 for collectives and organizations.
- The fund supports independent media workers and grassroots media initiatives that will aim to address a wide range of climate related misinformation in the following four regions: North Africa Western Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia Pacific.
There are a number of criteria that the board ranks the applications against:
- Originality & significance: the quality of the written application. How is this work new? Does it build on existing published work, and what is the new contribution it makes? What are the challenges it suggests to address? What is its geographic area/ focus?
- Achievability: will the applicant be able to deliver on the promises made in the application? Is the work plan realistic within the suggested timeline? Does the fieldwork represent any ethical or health and safety issues that need to be taken into consideration?
- Impact & Dissemination: does the application identify a relevant audience for the work? Does the work set out to transform perception on specific issues? Is the application clear in terms of why this work is important now?
- Rigour: Will the work present balanced viewpoints? How solid is the investigative fieldwork plan? How will the applicant check that their sources are accurate?
- Match to funder: Is the Check Global Media Response Fund best suited to support this? Are there any other partners that it can direct this application to for support?
How to Apply
- Applicants submit a brief about their project via the submission form, or by email to CGMRF @ Protonmail.com
- Selected applicants are invited to submit further details about their project via an online form (which also provides the board with references, that it is able to consult regarding the applicant’s background and experience).
Deadline: Applications for the Meedan Check Global Independent Media Response are ongoing.