Thé Government of thé People’s Republic of China is offering seventy-five (75) fellowships in the academic year 2019-2020 for advanced studies in varied subjects for thé benefit of thé invited Member States
Tenable at a selected number of Chinese universities, thèse fellowships are intended for students and scholars who plan to pursue advanced studies or undertake individual research with periodic guidance from thé assigned supervisors in China for a duration of one year.
Twenty-five (25) of thé 75 fellowships are especially intended for candidatures recommended by thé Teacher Training Institutions supported by UNESCO-CFIT Project in thé 10 African countries to undertake an Advanced Training Programme for pré- and in-service teachers, teacher educators and trainers at East China Normal University. Most of thé study programmes will be conducted in English. In exceptional cases, candidates may be required to study the Chinese language before taking up research or studying in their fields of interest.
Selected candidates will undertake their studies in thé host universities as visiting scholars. Extension or repeated award of fellowships will be impossible under the same UNESCO fellowships programme. Therefore, selected candidates who intend to continue their studies or pursue degrees will need to seek other types of funding after thé completion of this one-year fellowship.
Worth of Award
Facilities offered by the Government of the People’s Republic of China
- Tuition Waiver
- A monthly living allowance of CNY 3,000 Yuan for general scholars or CNY 3,500 Yuan for senior scholars will be granted covering meals and pocket expenses;
- Accommodation**: free university dormitory or accommodation subsidy;**lf thé host university requires students to live on campus, thé university will accommodate scholarship students in university dormitory (usually twin room);if thé host university permits thé students to live off-campus, thé university will provide monthly or quarterly accommodation subsidy as standard stipulated below:
- Général scholars: CNY 700 per month;Senior scholars: CNY 1000 per month.
- Comprehensive Médical Insurance*** and Protection Scheme for international students in China.
Facilities offered by UNESCO
- International travel to and from China; and
- monthly pocket allowance of US$ 80 (eighty US dollars), and
- a termination allowance of US$ 200 (two hundred US dollars) to cover excessluggage charges at the time of return to home country.
- IMPORTANT: No allowance will be granted for financing or lodging any spouse ordépendent of thé fellows
- Applicants applying for Général Scholar Programmes must not be older than thé âge of forty-five (45) and hâve completed at least two years of undergraduate study; and those who apply for Senior Scholar Programmesmust be a master’s degree holder or an associate professor (or above)and not older than thé âge of fifty (50).
- English proficiency is required.
- Be in good health, both mentally and physically.
How to Apply
- Read carefully the Announcement letter, especially the attached ANNEX II, for UNESCO/China Co-Sponsored Fellowships Programme 2019-2020 to understand the requirements for eligible candidatures and the procedures for the submission of application.
- Contact the National Commission for UNESCO of your country to inquire about the application procedures at national level.
- Applicants are encouraged to contact in advance with their target Chinese universities and apply for the pre-admission. For the applicants who have received the pre-admission letters from by the time of submission, please attach the letters in your supporting documents.
- Prepare your application documents (in English or Chinese) properly according to the requirements prescribed in ANNEX II.
- Submit your application to the National Commission for UNESCO of your country.
- NOTE: As National Commission for UNESCO of the invited countries will select and transmit the applications of nominated candidates to UNESCO Paris Headquarter by 15 March 2019 at the latest, applicants are advised to submit their application to the National Commissions as early as possible.
- As soon as You are informed by the National Commission for UNESCO of your country that you are nominated as a candidate for this programme, you should complete the online application and submit all the supporting documents on the online application system of China Scholarship Council
- Note: Hard copies of application documents are no longer required and it is mandatory for each nominated candidate to submit his/her application in the online application system. Candidates should mention their serial number of online application when their applications are submitted to UNESCO. Any application without online registration will not be considered.
- Your online application form, along with the endorsement letter from the National Commission for UNESCO of your country and all your application documents should be submitted to Mr Stoyan Bantchev, Chief of the Participation Programme and Fellowships Section by e-mail: [email protected], with a copy to [email protected] and [email protected], by the deadline
Deadline: Deadline for submission of applications is March 15, 2019.