The Musical Society of Nigeria in conjunction with the MTN Foundation announces the call for applications for the MTN MUSON Diploma in Music Scholars Programme in Nigeria for the 2022/23 academic session.
Its goal is to produce well-rounded, thoroughly educated musicians who would qualify for direct entry as transfer students into a university to fulfill the remaining requirements for an undergraduate music degree. This is why it strives to produce graduates comparable to those found in a Conservatoire and it has patterned its syllabus on those standards.
Worth of Award
The diploma course is a full time 2 year course offering advanced training in music with the following majors:
Piano, Organ, Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, Percussion, Classical Guitar, and Voice.
Applicants for the MTNF/MUSON diploma course in Music are expected to possess the following minimum requirements:
- The General Certificate of Education (G.C.E) Ordinary Level with credits in five (5) subjects including the English Language, or
- The Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE) with a credit in the English Language
- The 5 credits must have been obtained at not more than two sittings and before admission to the diploma course.
Other requirements include
PRACTICAL: Grade five (5) or higher pass certificate of The MUSON School of Music or any other music examining body recognized by the MUSON School.
THEORY: Grade five (5) or higher pass certificate of the MUSON School of Music or any other music examining body recognized by the MUSON School.
NB: Applicants who possess the above practical or theory certificates would have also satisfied the GCE (O/L) or SSCE requirements.
Applicants who are deficient in the theory requirements but show outstanding practical ability may be admitted. These students must take a remedial theory course and must pass the minimum requirements in the first year
How to Apply
Applications are done online via their website. See link below for details.
Kindly note that
- Students are required to take 2 terms of an instrument minor other than their major instrumental family.
- All voice students must pass grade 2 piano, instrumentalists must pass vocal techniques and all students must belong to the choir. The Orchestra on the other hand is required for all string majors.
- All wind and percussion majors must belong to the band. While others who may not be majors are welcome to audition for the orchestra band.
Deadline: The deadline for online applications for the MTN MUSON Diploma in Music is August 21, 2022.