The African Centre for Media Excellence, with the Natural Resource Governance Institute, offers training on effective coverage of the oil and gas sector in 2022. The sector is now at the take-off stage and offers exciting reporting opportunities.
The training consists of a series of two core courses to take place in Kampala. The first course, a foundational one, will last five days i.e. from 12—16 September 2022. The second course, slated for the third week of October, is a follow-up workshop that will run for eight days, including a study trip to the oil and gas activity sites in the Albertine.
The courses offer knowledge and skills modules within a context of holistic and comprehensive support to journalists. This support is through mentoring, study trips, coaching, access to sources, use of data, innovative use of digital and online databases, as well as interaction with peers, experts, policymakers, and oversight actors. The courses are interactive, practical, and participant-driven.
Worth of Award
- Selected journalists will be fully sponsored and required to commit to and complete all aspects of this residential training program before, during, and after the courses.
- This call is intended for mid-career journalists in Uganda working with media organizations, including online platforms.
- Freelance journalists are free to apply.
How to Apply
All applications should be made online.
Provide the following information in your application form.
- Your full name.
- Your phone number & email address.
- Name and address (including website) of the media organization or platform you report for.
- Name, email, and phone number of your editor or editorial supervisor who will approve your participation in the training.
- A one-page write-up of your professional profile (should include, among other elements, how long you have worked as a journalist, areas you have reported on, and how you think attending this training will benefit your career).
- Story Samples: Include in your application up to three samples of your stories on oil, gas and mining. If you have not reported on these issues, provide story samples on other topics you have covered. Samples may be submitted as online links or attached as scanned copies or audio and video files.
- Female journalists are especially encouraged to apply.
Deadline: Applications close on August 24, 2022.