UNSW Sydney invites applications for the Petre Foundation Scholarship for the 2022/23 academic session.
The Scholarship aims to attract a UNSW PhD candidate with exceptional research potential. It will be awarded to one PhD candidate who can demonstrate academic excellence and whose research contributes to the betterment of mankind without regard for their own personal or commercial gain.
The PhD candidate must undertake a world-leading scientific research project at UNSW in the areas of fundamental sciences, engineering or medical research. The research should be innovative and focused on delivery rather than solving social problems or delivering policy-driven outcomes.
Worth of Award
- This scholarship will be paid as a stipend for general living costs at $32,000 per annum, payable for 3.5 years.
- It can be held in conjunction with a Tuition Fee Scholarship (TFS) if the recipient is International.
To be eligible to apply for the Petre Foundation Scholarship, the candidate must:
- commence in 2023
- have Honours 1 or equivalent qualifications;
- be enrolled in a full-time PhD at UNSW;
- be commencing in a program in fundamental sciences, engineering or medical research;
- not have previously held the Scholarship;
- not use the Scholarship to undertake research that has commercial gains or outcomes that aims to solve social problems or deliver policy-driven outcomes.
Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Potential for Impact: Explain how your PhD research project contributes to the betterment of mankind (50%)
- Innovation: Indicate how your PhD research project is innovative. Will your PhD research project challenge existing paradigms and/or employ new methodologies or concepts? Describe any novel approaches. (25%)
- Academic Excellence: Demonstrate academic excellence through your grades/marks from your previous degrees, and details of any relevant awards in your application form. (25%)
How to Apply
International applicants must also apply for the main scholarship round and be considered for the TFS to cover tuition fees.
Deadline: September 30, for commencement in 2023.