The Volkswagen Foundation seeks applications from prospective PhD candidates for the 2014/15 scholarship for international students. Within the framework of changing funding initiatives, the foundation provides impetus for the development of research and higher education. The scholarship is in two forms and applicants are to choose among Social Science and Engineering.
Research projects, developed and carried out by African scholars and scientists in close cooperation with their German partners, shall provide junior researchers in Africa with an opportunity to enhance their skills and academic qualifications. Special emphasis is put on the development, reinforcement, and extension of academic networks inside Africa beyond existing language barriers.
Worth of Award
Each field has its specific scholarship award details. See link below for full detail on the worth of award.
- The funding initiative is open to all disciplines and aims at the development and sustainable reinforcement of research in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- The following call aims at post-docs starting academic careers in Africa.
- Funding can only be approved for research projects carried out in cooperation with a partner academic institution in Germany, and for Junior and Senior Fellowships with a 36-month duration.
How to Apply
- Applications will only be accepted for processing after previous consultation with the respective contact person.
- From time to time, the Volkswagen Foundation organizes thematic workshops in order to aid the identification of promising areas of future-oriented research and the development of innovative lines of research in a spirit of partner-like cooperation. These meetings are used to discuss the current status of research, identify research issues, and to explore and develop possibilities for cooperation with other researchers and research institutions inside sub-Saharan Africa. Attendance at these workshops is by invitation only. Details of how to apply are posted on the Foundation’s homepage.
T. 0511 8381 0
.F 0511 8381 344
Deadline: Deadlines for application are June 27, 2014 for Call “Social Sciences”, and September 5, 2014 for Call “Engineering Sciences”
For social science, click here
For Engineering, click here
Click here for more details and to apply online