The University of Southern Denmark invites applications for a PhD position in Artificial Intelligence and Innovation in the 2022/2023 academic session.
The applications of artificial intelligence and data-driven decision-making is gaining prevalence in society and organizations including inside innovation processes. AI is for example used to scape and analyze data for identifying, ranking and risk assessing innovation prospects and controlling innovation processes. However, AI applications in innovation processes is often constructed from compilations of codes that obscures transparency and makes it hard to understand the decision-making basis. Therefore, less is known about how AI design choices come to shape innovation processes in organizations.
The main objective of the PhD project is to explore the role of AI applications in shaping innovation processes. You will be combining data science methodologies with interview-based and observation-based explorations to gain knowledge on how AI design elements, such as coding structures, enable decision-making outputs, how these outputs come to be trusted or distrusted by decision-makers and how they shape decision-making in sourcing, funding and controlling innovation processes. This will also include exploring biases in application of AI in innovation processes that negatively affects decision-making.
The PhD project runs for 3-year and includes teaching obligations and PhD course participation. The programme is highly international, and you will participate in international conferences as well as visit a foreign research institution as a visiting PhD student.
Worth of Award
- Employment as a PhD fellow is a 3-year salaried position (start salary amounts to approx. 3.378,- EURO per month incl. supplements).
- Applicants are required to have a master’s degree (equivalent to a Danish master’s degree) at the time of enrollment and employment.
- They are looking for a highly motivated candidate with an academic passion for understanding both the technical elements of AI design as well as its beneficial and negative consequences for innovation in organizations.
- You should have a Master’s degree in areas such as AI, engineering, digital design, IT architecture, data science or a Master´s degree in social science and experience with novel data technologies.
- You should also have a genuine interest in interdisciplinary research between data and social science. Technical experience with AI programming, machine learning or related technologies is beneficial.
- Furthermore, it is preferable that you want to conduct high-quality research on interplay AI and innovation, and present and publish the outcome of the project in scientific journals and disseminate your findings to the public.
- Therefore a very good capability of communicating scientific results in English, both orally and in writing, is required.
How to Apply
The application must be in English and must include the following:
- Completed TEK PhD application form for 5+3 applicants.
- Motivation letter including your motivation and qualifications for the project. Maximum 2 pages. Upload in the field called “Project description”.
- CV describing Master’s degree and work experience. Also include research experience, teaching experience, technical skills, and list of publications if applicable.
- Verified copies of the official bachelor diploma and master’s diploma and transcripts of exams, in original language and translated into English.
- Completed TEK PhD form for calculation grade point average. Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”.
- An official document describing the grading scheme of the awarding universities (if not Danish). Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”.
- An official and verified written assessment of the thesis or dissertation project from the grade giving institution, if the thesis/examination project is evaluated by approved/passed. The statement must clearly state that the candidate has been among the top 30 pct. in the graduation class for the study programme.
- List of publications and examples of publication (max. 2) if applicable. Please attach one pdf-file for each publication.
- References (names and emails) and reference letters may also be included.
Deadline: Applications must be submitted no later than August 10, 2022.