UNFPA invites applications for the UNFPA Female Genital Mutilation Stretch Hubs Hack in 2022.
The UNFPA Hubs Hack will source innovative solutions to accelerate collective efforts to end FGM across Africa. The Hubs Hack will engage incubator and accelerator Hubs across Africa to tap into their resource of innovators and innovation solutions to pitch the best solutions to contribute to ending FGM in Africa. Each Hub will run an internal selection process and submit at least 2 innovation solutions to the continental challenge. The best solutions will receive scale funding and business support to take the solution to investment readiness. The Hubs Hack will ultimately:
- Identify next-generation innovation solutions by applying the UN principles of innovation to accelerate efforts towards ending harmful practices especially FGM
- Identify and build the capacity of a network of innovation (incubator/accelerator) hubs to champion FGM innovation in their community
- Mobilize community (innovation ecosystem) support for innovators to champion the campaign against FGM
Worth of Award
$60,000 in seed funds will be available for 2 emerging hubs to grow the emerging solutions. The funds will be disbursed based on agreed milestones and clearly defined needs assessment. Hubs will be expected to account for the disbursement of the funds.
Hubs will also be provided additional coaching and mentoring by identified business coaches. The coaches will assess and advise on the submitted incubation/acceleration plan submitted by the Hubs. A network of hubs will emerge to create a peer support system to facilitate learning and sharing as well as collective ecosystem growth.
- The Hub must be a legally registered entity in a UNFPA program country and have efficient financial systems including audited finances.
- At the time of application, the Hub and any of its individual members, are not under procurement prohibitions derived from the Compendium of United Nations Security Council Sanctions Lists and have not been suspended, debarred, sanctioned, or otherwise identified as ineligible by any UN Organization or the World Bank Group.
- The submitted solutions must be owned by an innovator(s) attached to the applying Hub with a demonstrable relationship with the innovator.
Innovative solutions must
- align with the UNFPAs Transformative Results and/core mandate and Align with the UN principles of innovation.
- be scalable and commercially viable solutions. Solutions that are adaptable to other contexts with little financial inject requires
Innovators on the other hand must
- be individuals (young people) representing social enterprises and not-for-profit organizations including academic and research institutions.
- equally be based in a UNFPA program country in West and Central Africa, East and Southern Africa, Egypt, Sudan, Djibouti, Somalia and/or FGM endemic countries.
- be 35 years or younger (African Union definition for youth). Women and girls are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Click here to submit an idea for the UNFPA Female Genital Mutilation Stretch Hubs Hack.
Deadline: August 20, 2022.