UNSW Sydney invites applications for the Anita B Lawrence PhD Scholarship in Acoustics in Australia for the 2022/23 academic session.
Good design is critical to the management of unwanted noise externally as well as within our building interiors, in co-working spaces, restaurants and between neighbouring apartments.
Thus, candidates with significant industry experience are encouraged to apply. In addition to the below, other potential areas of focus are also welcome.
Impacts of noise on human health and well-being
- Environmental noise – external and internal noise sources
- Policy impacts of noise in built environment
Amelioration and mitigation of noise impacts
- policy impacts of noise in built environment
- design e.g soundscapes
- Implications for the design of the future work spaces
- External creation of sound to enliven spaces that people like – curated soundscapes
- Sounds to ameliorate unwanted noise e.g water,
- Monitoring and visualizing data
- Modelling of soundscapes
Post-occupancy evaluation (PoE)
- Effectiveness of measures
- Current practice and implications for better practice
Worth of Award
- The Scholarship will be paid as a stipend for general living costs at $30,000 per annum and a research allowance of $5,000 per annum. It will be payable for 3.5 years.
- The scholarship will be held in conjunction with a Tuition Fee Scholarship (TFS) if the recipient is international.
- candidate must be enrolled or enrolling in an accredited higher degree research course of study at UNSW.
- scholarship is available to both new and existing candidates.
- scholarship is available to full-time and part-time candidates.
- duration and payment of the scholarship will be pro-rata if awarded to an existing and/or part-time candidate.
How to Apply
Formal applications should be emailed to [email protected].au and should include:
- Your CV and copy of your academic transcript
- Names of two academic referees
- One sample of written work appropriate for an academic audience (e.g. undergraduate dissertation, peer-reviewed journal article, etc)
- A “Statement of Purpose” outlining your reasons for applying, how you meet the eligibility criteria, and your longer-term goals (max. 1-2 pages).
The subject line for your email should be: Anita B. Lawrence PhD Scholarship in Acoustics
Please note, you will also be required to submit an Expression of Interest for admission to the PhD at UNSW Faculty of Arts, Design and Architecture.
Deadline: Applications for the Anita B Lawrence PhD Scholarship in Acoustics are ongoing.