The Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa invites applications for its MIASA Female Academic Careers in Africa Workshop at the University of Ghana in 2022.
MIASA is based on a cooperation between UG and four German partners:
University of Freiburg,
Goethe University Frankfurt,
German Institute for Global and Area Studies, and
The institute is located at UG, Legon Campus and is sponsored by the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF) with co-funding from UG.
Worth of Award
MIASA covers travel costs for participants (economy class flight, only mandatory covid-19 tests, local transport, accommodation).
The workshop offers time and space to discuss the challenges and opportunities for women in academia in African contexts. Participants from Ghana and other African countries will be accompanied by a professional coach through different modules that address the issues of
(i) how to build up efficient teams,
(ii) how to deal with university hierarchies,
(iii) how to address conflicts at the workplace, and
(iv) how to proceed an academic career with multiple time constraints.
The workshop explores professional relationships in academic practice.
- This workshop welcomes early- and mid-career female academics who are affiliated in the Social Sciences and Humanities with universities or research institutes in Africa.
- Applicants should have a PhD.
- MIASA is open to a broad range of disciplines and appreciate, in particular, applicants who work on one or more of MIASA’s main research themes
How to Apply
Your dossier should be comprised of:
- A Motivation letter (please describe your general professional profile and indicate the two main reasons why you wish to participate in this workshop)
- Your research profile, max. 500 words (please describe briefly your main research theme-s)
- A CV, including publication list, max. 2 pages.
All documents should be in one PDF file, called SURNAME_GIVEN NAME_Female2022.pdf
Deadline: The submission deadline for the MIASA Female Academic Careers in Africa is August 3rd, 2022.