Vrije Universiteit Brussel invites applications for the Wind Speed Modelling and Anemometry PhD Scholarship for the 2022/23 academic year.
The FLOW research group is a young, dynamic group working in the fields of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and data-driven modelling.
The goal of this project is to develop a framework for realistic, high-fidelity surrogate time series of wind data, while fully accounting for the fact that wind is non stationary. This is in the sense that the signal characteristics change over time, and that these changes happen at different time scales, multivariate, with an inherent interdependence between the variables. It is also nonlinear, in the sense that the superposition principle cannot be used to predict how different flow features interact.
Worth of Award
You’ll be offered a full-time PhD-scholarship, for 12 months (extendable up to max. 48 months, on condition of the positive evaluation of the PhD activities). This comes with a planned starting date of October 01, 2022.
At the VUB, you’re guaranteed an open, involved and diverse workplace where you are offered opportunities to (further) build on your career.
Added to this are various other benefits which include:
- Full reimbursement for your home-work commute with public transport according to VUB-policy, or compensation if you come by bike;
- Cost-free hospitalization insurance;
- The space to form your job content and continuously learn via VUB LRN;
- Excellent facilities for sport and exercise;
- Eco cheques;
- Delicious meals at attractive prices in our campus restaurants;
- An open, family-friendly work environment where attention is paid to work-life balance, and exceptional holiday arrangements with 35 days of leave. This is based on a full time contract.
- You must hold a master’s degree in Engineering, or in Physics and Astronomy, or in Geography, or an equivalent master’s degree.
- Preferably, you have experience with anemometry and/or atmospheric physics.
- Honours are recommended.
- Good knowledge of English required.
How to Apply
Send your CV, letter of motivation and the highest degree you’ve attained (not applicable for VUB alumni).
Click here to start your application for the Wind Speed Modelling and Anemometry PhD Scholarship.
Deadline: August 9, 2022.