Copenhagen Business School in Denmark invites applications for a PhD Scholarship on Coolness in Business and Society in the 2022/23 academic session.
Based in architecturally beautiful buildings in central Copenhagen, the Department of Marketing at Copenhagen Business School (CBS) is a leading provider of excellent research-based education. This is an exciting time for us, as we celebrated recently our 100th anniversary. Our strategy is unashamedly ambitious. Our goal is to be the undisputed leader in marketing education in Scandinavia and a leading marketing department on a European level, held in high esteem in terms of our research and education. Our mission is to deliver excellent research-led education to an international audience at all levels, and to engage with business and society.
Faculty members are committed to rigorous theory development and theory-driven, empirical research—outcomes that are central goals for any reputed business school. The Department focuses on contributing to a holistic understanding of the interactions and activities in the marketplace. Thus, our research focuses on marketing, yet we draw on other academic disciplines to the extent that they improve the quality of our marketing research. We accordingly publish in both marketing and other relevant journals contained within the Academic Journal Guide (AJG; formerly ABS) ranking list. The research of the Department covers broad areas (often cross-disciplinary) in marketing. Faculty members use a wide range of methodologies, both qualitative and quantitative. Through our research-based teaching, we contribute across a palette of courses and programs at Copenhagen Business School.
Worth of Award
- A PhD scholarship runs for a period of 3 years, and includes teaching obligations equivalent of ½ year’s work (840 work hours) to be in large part conducted at the Sino-Danish Centre in Beijing.
- The scholarships are fully salaried positions, according to the national Danish collective agreement.
- The scholarship includes the tuition fees, office space, travel grants plus a salary, currently starting with per month app. DKK 27,363 up to DKK 33,045 depending on seniority plus a pension contribution totaling 17.1 % of 85 percent of the base salary.
- To be considered, the PhD applicant must have a basic training at a Master’s level (similar to the 3 + 2 Bologna process; see also later for specific requirements).
- An educational background in the social sciences is necessary.
- The applicant must have completed successfully a Master’s degree before commencing the PhD at CBS.
- Also, the applicant must absolutely be fluent in English, both in spoken and written forms.
- A PhD application must include copies of a Master’s degree certificate (or other certificates of a corresponding level; grades for all courses and dissertation must appear on this certificate; see below), a brief curriculum vitae (CV), a list of any working papers and publications, and one copy of a selected written work (e.g., Master’s thesis).
How to Apply
The document must also explain how the PhD applicant has attained the following graduate point average (GPA) score:
- Either: a combined GPA of 8.2 on CBS’ 7-point scale (i.e., 8.2/12 = 68.3%). You combine your bachelor’s GPA and master’s GPA by applying the following calculation: (180 x Bachelor’s GPA + 120 x Master’s GPA) / 300.
- Or: GPA of 9.5 (on CBS’s 7-point scale) in your master’s degree (corresponding to 9.5/12 = 79.2%).
This document (that details how the PhD applicant fulfils the requirements) should include a detailed overview of each of the PhD applicant’s course grades (bachelor and master degrees) including a detailed overview in an Excel table that translates each course grade into % (following CBS’ 7-point scale). For example, if you have a grading system of 1-5 (with for example 5 being the highest), and you get 4.5 in a course, then you convert the grade to % as follows: 4.5/5 = 90%.
- Finally, a PhD applicant must include a letter of motivation tailored to the position; and three referees (with the full contact details including telephone, e-mail, and institution) must be stated.
- A committee of marketing experts will assess the received PhD applications. Following this assessment, the PhD applicant is selected.
Deadline: The application closes on August 15, 2022