Applications for the ProPublica Emerging Reporters Program in 2022 are currently open.
ProPublica has a vested interest in developing more journalists from diverse backgrounds, particularly those who are economically disadvantaged. It considers it crucial to the future of the industry and to its own ability to fulfill its mission, which is to expose abuses of power and produce journalism that provokes change.
Without the voices and points of view of more journalists of colour, there is every reason to believe that important stories are being overlooked. Barriers that keep aspiring journalists of colour from entering the field include financial constraints and lack of access to mentors and training. The Emerging Reporters Program is aimed at lowering those barriers.
Worth of Award
The Program provides $9,000 stipends, along with mentoring and trips to investigative journalism conferences.
These include the National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting conference, to five students each year who work or want to work at college journalism outlets: newspapers, websites, radio stations or TV stations.
- The ProPublica Emerging Reporters Program is specifically designed for talented aspiring journalists who find investigative journalism inaccessible for financial reasons.
- All students who will be juniors or seniors in college this academic year are eligible to apply. Similarly, students from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in journalism, including people of colour, are especially encouraged to apply.
- In view of this, participants are expected to take a full course load during the 2022-23 school year.
- They are also expected to demonstrate financial need.
- It is important to note that the Emerging Reporters Program is only open to U.S. citizens or U.S. residents, for tax purposes. And for this reason, no exceptions will be made to this rule.
How to Apply
Are you looking to start your application? All you have to do is imply click here.
Deadline: August 9 at 4:59 am.