Leipzig University invites applications for the Global and Area Studies PhD Programme for International Students in Germany for the 2022/23 academic year.
The programme qualifies junior researchers and professionals for employment, among others,
- in international organizations,
- in the field of conflict management, prevention and resolution as well as early warning (and other areas of the emerging African peace and security architecture),
- and as future lecturers, scholars and researchers within the rapidly expanding higher education sector in the world.
Worth of Award
For the study period in Leipzig (4 months) the air fares from Addis Ababa to Germany and back will be covered by the programme. Accommodation will be provided.
The university is looking for talented candidates who finished their Master degree in
- social science,
- political science,
- international relations,
- humanities and economics and of course
- peace and security studies with very good results.
Students applying for this programme should have an interest in conflict prevention, peace and security and should be able to frame it in an African as well as global context.
How to Apply
Only selected applicants will be required to submit the following documents:
- application form (download above)
- certified or original hard copy of high school leaving certificate
- certified or original hard copy of university diplomas (Bachelor and Master)
- certified or original hard copy of transcript of records (Master’s degree)
English test results (only if English is not your primary language of communication)
- TOEFL (international): minimum score of 550 paper-based (or 213 computer-based or 80 internet-based). Please notice that the code number for the Master’s course in Global Studies is: 4688.
- IELTS: minimum score of 6,5
- CPE: Grades A, B, C (Certificate of Proficiency in English)
- CAE: Grades A, B (Certificate in Advanced English)
- UNIcert III
(Applicants who acquired a degree from a college or university where English is the language of instruction do not have to provide the above mentioned proficiency tests).
- curriculum vitae (not longer than three pages)
- letter of motivation
- research proposal (10-12 pages)
- two recommendation letters
- copy of passport
- two passport size pictures (only when postal application is submitted. For online application, the passport size picture should be included once)
Deadline: The next deadline for all applications for the Global and Area Studies PhD Programme is November 15th, 2022.