The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) invites applications for the JSPS RONPAKU Dissertation PhD Program in Japan for the 2022/23 academic session.
The aim of this program is to provide tutorial and financial support for promising researchers in the countries of Asia and Africa. Or other specified countries among those listed as Japanese ODA recipients who wish to obtain a PhD degree from a Japanese university. This of course will be done through the submission of a dissertation without matriculating a doctoral course.
Worth of Award
The total funding provided to a Japanese host university includes a maximum of 3.6 million yen (Up to 1.2 million yen per fiscal year) and can cover the following expenses:
- Travel expenses (RONPAKU fellow’s visits to Japan, advisor’s visit to fellow’s country),
- goods/materials, and
- other dissertation related expenses
All fields within the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are included plus, the candidate must be a researcher
- has not obtained a PhD degree from a university
- wishes to obtain a PhD degree from a Japanese university through the submission of a dissertation
- has already achieved substantial research results and is likely through dissertation research under the program to successfully obtain a PhD degree, and who is nominated by a home advisor and the president of his/her affiliated university/research institution
- has nationality in an applicable country
- is employed full time at a university or research institution in his/her home country or will be appointed to such a position by April 1, 2023
- is 45 years of age or younger as of April 1, 2023
How to Apply
You can access the online application form for the JSPS RONPAKU Dissertation PhD Program by clicking here.
Deadline: JSPS accepts applications received via the advisors’ universities in Japan no later than August 19, 2022.