The Global Environmental Education Partnership invites applications for the Youth Innovation Challenge for Tackling Marine Debris in the USA in 2022.
Our oceans are filled with debris of all kinds—from floating trash to microplastics to litter scattered across the ocean floor. And this pollution has significant impacts on our marine
ecosystems, environment, and even public health. But these are all things that can be
addressed through the power of science, innovation, and education.
This is why the Youth Innovation Challenge invites applicants from young people to propose a solution to address the issue of marine debris. Solutions can incorporate a variety of approaches, but must include environmental education. Solutions must, therefore, be innovative, feasible, and informed by research.
Worth of Award
A total of 15 YIC finalists will be selected and will receive the following benefits:
- An official YIC finalist certificate
- Recognition through GEEP, NAAEE, and other global partners’ websites and social media pages
- Each winner will receive a $1,000 USD prize, in addition to all the benefits listed above.
The Youth Innovation Challenge is intended for young leaders and innovators aged 15–30.
Your innovative solutions must provide a solution to the issue of marine debris, using environmental education as a key component, aligning with one of the four key areas:
- Monitoring & Investigation of the amount, type, and distribution of marine debris.
- Cleanup of both floating debris and bottom litter in the ocean.
- Recycle & Reuse marine debris into useful products.
- Engaging Communities to address marine debris issues
How to Apply
Your application should include the following:
- Title of your solution (maximum 30 words)
- The key area(s) your solution to marine debris addresses
- A three minute video or less telling about your proposed solution.
- Your specific solution in 500 words max
- A description stating why you think your idea is feasible in 300 words max
- The relevant research or evidence that informs your solution
- The additional partnerships, skills, or other resources in addition to funding that would help you successfully implement this solution
Deadline: Submit your proposal before September 1, 2022 at 11:59 PM U.S. Eastern Time.