Sustainable Energy for All invites applications for the This Is Cool Challenge for affordable and sustainable Cooling in Austria in 2022.
The analysis for 2022 shows that across 54 high-impact countries identified in previous Chilling Prospects reports, 1.2 billion people among the rural and urban poor are at high risk due to a lack of access to cooling.
A further 2.47 billion lower-middle-income people pose a different kind of risk: they will soon be able to purchase the most affordable air conditioner or refrigerator, but price sensitivity and limited purchasing options mean they favour devices that are likely to be inefficient, threatening energy systems and resulting in increased GHG emissions. Delivering on cooling needs with sustainable, affordable solutions will be key to achieving many Sustainable Development Goals.
What is your proposed technology or policy initiative to accelerate access to affordable and sustainable cooling?
Worth of Award
- Prize: USD 3,000, USD 2,000, USD 1,000 from the Sustainable Cooling for All to support the implementation of the idea
- Visibility: Spotlight feature from SEforALL (and partners) as well as exhibition opportunities (e.g., SEforALL Forum)
- Incubation support
SEforALL is looking for youth-led sustainable cooling solutions that can help deliver on one or more of the three cooling needs:
- Human comfort and safety: passive or active personal, space or urban cooling
- Food, nutrition and agriculture: agricultural cold chain
- Health services: vaccine and medical cold chain
Initiatives may be in ideation or implementation stage and should demonstrate potential for impact in terms of improving affordability and increasing access to sustainable cooling through one or more of the following:
- passive and nature-based cooling solutions
- renewable-based cooling solutions
- energy-efficient cooling solutions
Entries may be submitted by individuals or groups of up to 5 individuals, all under 35 years of age.
How to Apply
You can make your application for the This Is Cool Challenge online via the official website.
Deadline: All final entries must be submitted by August 30, 2022.