Swansea University and UKAEA invite applications for the AI & Inverse Analysis PhD Scholarship in Australia for the 2022/23 academic scholarship.
By combining physics informed neural networks (PINNs) with inverse analysis, this project will investigate whether multiple solutions can be induced within a design space. An automated method of providing these multiple solutions to the designer gives materials, topology, and other parameter choices.
For this reason, the first year of the PhD will mostly be spent on testing novel machine learning methods for their suitability. The second year will allow the student to move into digital twin design. This will eventually lead to integration of the model into the workflow at UKAEA in the third year.
Worth of Award
- This scholarship covers the full cost of UK tuition fees and an annual stipend of £15,609.
- Additional research expenses will also be available.
To be considered eligible,
- Candidates should hold a first or upper second class honours degree (or its equivalent). This should be in engineering, computer science, mathematics, or physics, or a master’s degree in a subject area related to the project.
- A strong background in numerical methods or machine learning is required. In fact, knowledge/experience of programming in compiled languages (e.g. C, C++, or Fortran) and interpreted languages (e.g. Python) is essential. Likewise, CUDA is desirable as well has having experience with engineering analysis (e.g. FEA).
- Furthermore, if applicable, eligible students should have IELTS 6.5 overall (with at least 5.5 in each individual component) or Swansea recognized equivalent.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete your application online with the following information:
- Course choice – please select Mechanical Engineering/Ph.D./Full-time/3 Years/OctoberIn the event that you have already applied for the above programme previously, the application system may issue a warning notice and prevent application. In this event, please email [email protected] where staff will be happy to assist you in submitting your application.
- Start year – please select 2022
For funding –
- ‘Are you funding your studies yourself?’ – please select No
- ‘Name of Individual or organization providing funds for study’ – please enter ‘RS105 – AI and Inverse Analysis’
As part of your online application, you MUST upload the following documents (please do not send these via email):
- Degree certificates and transcripts (if you are currently studying for a degree, screenshots of your grades to date are sufficient)
- A cover letter including a ‘Supplementary Personal Statement’ to explain why the position particularly matches your skills and experience. Equally explain how you choose to develop the project.
- Two references (academic or previous employer) on headed paper or using the Swansea University reference form.
- Evidence of meeting English Language requirement (if applicable).
- Copy of UK resident visa (if applicable)
Deadline: The closing date for the AI & Inverse Analysis PhD Scholarship is August 5, 2022.