Google invites applications for the Google News Equity Fund for News Organizations representing underrepresented Communities in 2022.
Google has launched a ‘News Equity Fund’, a global commitment to provide financial support and opportunities to news organizations that primarily serve underrepresented communities.
Its aim is to strengthen inclusion, further empower a diverse news ecosystem, and specifically support small and medium sized publishers creating original journalism for underrepresented audiences around the world.
Worth of Award
- Funds will be disbursed in one installment.
- Funding amounts will vary depending on the size of the newsroom and number of eligible applications received.
To be eligible for funding from the Program you
- must be incorporated or registered for at least 1 year and located in an Eligible Geography;
- have no more than 50 full-time employed journalists (however Google may make exceptions on a case by case basis); and
- must regularly publish original news content; and
- provide links to at least three pieces of content published by you in 2022.
Registered companies, incorporated associations or organizations, registered
academic or non-profit bodies, registered freelancers, and registered sole traders
(or the local equivalent in your region) are all eligible to apply.
To be eligible for funding from the Program, a Project must
- be in a pre-launch phase (for example, at a design or prototype stage and not
- require funding for 12 months or less; and
- relate to or promote the development of the online news industry with a focus on
How to Apply
For your application, Google will need information including but not limited to:
- Company/organization information, including date founded and registration number
- Location, URL, number of full-time employee (FTE) journalists
- A brief explanation of how you will use News Equity Fund funding
- Links to recent work
Deadline: Applications for the Google News Equity Fund close on Thursday, July 21st, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.