Red Hen Press invites applications for the Ann Petry Award in Prose Literature by Black Writers in the USA in 2022.
Founded in 2020 in partnership with Red Hen Press and the Peauxdunque Writers Alliance, the Ann Petry Award seeks to publish prose literature by Black authors. The Ann Petry Award is for a work of previously unpublished prose. It could be either a novel or a collection of short stories or novellas, with a minimum of 150 pages.
The awarded manuscript is selected through an annual submission process, with primary review by the Peauxdunque Writers Alliance, who will winnow the submissions to a list of finalists for the final judge.
Worth of Award
- Successful writers will receive $3,000.
- They will also enjoy a Book publication by Red Hen Press.
- Furthermore, the opening chapter or story of the awarded manuscript will be published in the Peauxdunque Review.
- They will equally undergo a Four-week residency at The Community Library’s Ernest and Mary Hemingway House in Ketchum, Idaho.
The award is open to all Black writers, with the following exceptions:
- Authors who have had a full-length work published by Red Hen Press, or a full-length work currently under consideration by Red Hen Press
- Employees, interns, or contractors of Red Hen Press
- Relatives of employees or members of the executive board of directors
- Relatives or individuals having a personal or professional relationship with any of the final judges where they have taken any part whatsoever in shaping the manuscript, or where, for whatever reason, selecting a particular manuscript might have the appearance of impropriety
How to Apply
To create your account and get started on your application, simply click here.
Deadline: July 31, 2022.