Safe Sisters Fellowship for Women Human Rights Defenders 2022 opens for applications for the 2022 cohort.
Safe Sisters is a fellowship program for women human rights defenders, journalists or media workers that builds capacity to understand and respond to the digital safety challenges that they face in their work and daily life.
This unique opportunity brings together human rights defenders and civil society persons from across Africa for intensive training and networking while learning how to strategically employ digital tools across the spectrum of data management, content development, digital security.
Worth of Award
- Participants will be able to take part in a workshop over a period of five days, with DefendDefenders, to ensure that learning is tailored to the needs of the group.
- The participants will define and work on their own project throughout the course of participating in the workshop and receive support and mentorship in realizing their project vision.
- Participants will also become members of our alumni network after they have gone through the whole cycle, including access to mentors, creatives, safe sister signal group, a mailing list, e-learning opportunities, and priority in subsequent events.
- All costs related to enabling participation in the workshop will be covered by DefendDefenders.
- Participants shall be given the opportunity to apply for grants for implementation of their own activities, following the successful completion of the fellowship programme.
Applicants ought to
- apply individually and must be based in Ghana, South Africa, Nigeria, Tanzania, Kenya, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe, and Liberia.
- have their work mainly focused on promotion and protection of human rights.
- have an existing high impact digital project or idea they wish to bring into the workshop and implement after the cycle of safe sisters.
- be proficient in English (written, spoken and comprehension).
- have an open mind to learn and experiment with new digital tools and concepts.
How to Apply
You can fill out this application form to get on your way.
Deadline: Applications for the Safe Sisters Fellowship closes June 17th, 2022.