Megatrends Afrika invites applications for the Megatrends Afrika Fellowships for Post-Doctoral Researchers from African Countries in Berlin for the 2022/23 academic session.
“Megatrends Afrika: Implications and Options for German and International Policy”, is a new research and advisory project in cooperation between the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP) in Berlin, the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) in Bonn and the Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW). It is awarding three (3) fellowships to post-doctoral researchers from African countries working on Africa-related issues.
Worth of Award
Fellows will receive a monthly grant of € 2,800 as well as an economy fare return trip between the fellow’s place of residence and Germany.
Megatrends Afrika is particularly interested in research proposals on the following topics:
Conflicts, Statehood, and Actors of Violence in Africa:
- The relationship between climate change and/or resource management and conflict
- The changing nature of armed conflict, incl. new technologies and influence operations; remote warfare and warfare in urban settings; developments in security sector assistance/reform
- The effectiveness of regional ad hoc coalitions or organizations in conflict management
Megatrends and Political Authority in Africa including the:
- relationship between digitalization, political participation and democracy/autocracy
- reshaping of politics through demographic change, and youth movements
- impact of urban and increasingly digital middle classes on economies and politics
- relation between climate change or migration and political authority
External Actors and their Influence on Politics, Societies and Economies in Africa
- African perspectives on China’s economic engagement
- External actors in Africa such as India, Russia, Turkey, or the UAE
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted as a single PDF document and must contain the following documents in English:
- cover letter (one page);
- CV incl. a list of academic publications; and a sample of 2 pieces of recently published research papers;
- written concept note containing the description of the applicant’s project (not to exceed two (2) pages or 1000 words);
This concept note must include:
- A discussion of the project/research topic, relevant project objectives and an explanation of the academic and policy relevance of the project;
- An overview of the theoretical and methodological approaches the fellow seeks to apply.
It should also contain
- Copies of relevant academic transcripts and/or diplomas (no translations needed);
Deadline: The deadline for applications for the Megatrends Afrika Fellowships is June 22, 2022, 11:59 p.m. CEST.