The Child Mind Institute in partnership with Hunter College, invites applications for the Child Mind Institute Rising Scientist Awards in New York in 2022.
The crisis in children’s mental health takes many forms including stigma and barriers to care. Investing in the scientific leaders of tomorrow, therefore, will accelerate discovery and transform children’s lives.
For this reason, the Rising Scientist Awards, presented in partnership with Hunter College, are given annually to outstanding high school students. These are students who show exceptional promise in research areas related to mental health.
Worth of Award
Each Rising Scientist will receive:
- A $2,000 scholarship for college expenses
- An opportunity to share his or her research at the Child Mind Institute’s annual On the Shoulders of Giants Scientific Symposium. Note that this symposium will be attended by world-class scientists (to be held virtually on October 4, 2022)
- Recognition at an awards ceremony following the symposium, which is attended by VIP guests, including the Child Mind Institute’s Sarah Gund Distinguished Scientist. The 2022 Distinguished Scientist Awardee is Margaret McCarthy, PhD, Chair, Department of Pharmacology; Director for the Program in Neuroscience (PIN) at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
- Invitations to attend a special educational event with representatives from the Child Mind Institute’s research programs and to shadow a Child Mind Institute researcher for a day.
- Recognition in press releases distributed to national media outlets, on childmind.org and in social media promotion
To be selected for the Rising Scientist Awards a student must demonstrate:
- Outstanding interest and achievement in psychology, neuroscience or biomedical engineering research
- Strong academic performance in science courses
- Participation in related extracurricular activities
- Scientific research studies or independent research in one of the three areas of focus
How to Apply
Click this link to send in your nominations.
Deadline: The nomination period for the Child Mind Institute Rising Scientist Awards closes July 5, 2022.