DAAD invites applications for the DAAD LUANAR Scholarship Programme for African Students in Malawi for the 2022/23 academic session.
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Worth of Award
The scholarship covers the following:
- Tuition Fees
- Annual study and research allowance of 460 EUR (Master) and 920 EUR (PhD)
- Printing allowance paid once towards the end of scholarship worth 400 EUR (Master) and 800 EUR (PhD)
- Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.) worth 220 EUR (Master In-Country), 280 EUR (Master In-Region), 300 EUR (PhD In-Country), and 350 EUR (PhD In-Region).
- Travel allowance (In-Region only) offered twice usually at the beginning/end of scholarship and
- Insurance (In-Region only)
In a similar vein, applicants are expected to
- have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division or equivalent, if applicable)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African country
- generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
How to Apply
Mandatory documents to be submitted (in either English or German) for the DAAD scholarship application include:
- DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of publications (if applicable).
- Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master 1, PhD 2) Letter of admission for the host university (this can be subsequently submitted before the scholarship begins if it is not available at the time of application)
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
- Letter of motivation
- Copy of the passport
- If applicable, information on the UNHCR registration as refugee
- Only for course-based Master programmes: a semester schedule (if applicable, please include how and when a planned research stay in Germany would fit into the semester schedule)
Deadline: In conclusion, the application closing date for the DAAD LUANAR Scholarship Programme is June 15th, 2022.