Applications for the Solutions Journalism Network Climate Change Cohort in the USA in 2022 are currently open.
SJN’s mission is to transform journalism so that all people have access to news that helps them envision and build a more equitable and sustainable world. Writing about solutions makes journalists more effective and successful in their mission to share information that spurs readers/viewers/listeners to action.
Worth of Award
The fellowship, which comes with a $3,000 stipend, is remote and monthly meetings will be conducted via Zoom.
- Receive training to frame, research and write rigorous stories about climate change solutions, using SJN’s four-pillar approach, which means a piece needs to include:
- Response: Focuses on a response to a social problem — and on how that response has worked, or why it hasn’t
- Insight: Shows what can be learned from a response and why it matters to a newsroom’s audience
- Evidence: Provides data or qualitative results that indicate effectiveness (or lack thereof)
- Limitations: Places responses in context; doesn’t shy away from revealing shortcomings
- Delve into the important work of bringing an equity lens to your story selection, research and writing
- Meet and learn from other talented journalists from around the country and joining a growing network of climate change reporters in SJN’s network of more than 20,000 journalists worldwide
- Both freelance journalists and those affiliated with any news outlet or publication can apply.
- If you are a journalist working full-time for an organization, you would be asked to secure a signature from your supervisor to verify that they support your participation in the cohort.
- Similarly, if you are a freelancer with an established relationship with an editor/publication, you would be asked for a letter of intent that they will publish your pieces.
How to Apply
Deadline: The application for the Solutions Journalism Network should be completed by May 31st at 4 pm Central Time.