CODESRIA invites applications for the 5TH CODESRIA/CASB Summer School in African Studies and Area Studies in Africa for the 2022/23 academic year.
The goals of the Summer School include:
- Giving PhD students and emerging scholars the opportunity to engage critically with new theoretical, conceptual and methodological developments in African Studies and enhance the relevance of the methods to their work under the guidance of senior scholars.
- Encouraging PhD students and emerging scholars to reflect on the potential relevance of knowledge on Africa to the task of improving theoretical, conceptual and methodological tools both in the disciplines as well as in interdisciplinary work.
- Fostering among PhD students and emerging scholars a sense of belonging to a community of scholars in pursuit of knowledge and scholarship.
- Stimulating emerging scholars to work towards carving a space for African Studies in the broader field of scholarship and, in this way, helping African Studies to claim a place right at the center of knowledge production.
Worth of Award
Travel, accommodation and meals during the Summer School will be provided for participants from African Institutions.
Applications from PhD students registered in African and Swiss universities and in the following disciplines are highly encouraged:
- Social Anthropology,
- Gender studies and
- Political science.
How to Apply
Those wishing to be considered for participation should submit an application with the following:
- A letter of motivation with a clear statement on how you approach the challenge of “objectivity” in the social sciences and humanities as practiced in Africa and elsewhere
- A five-page concept paper which should highlight: (a) what they are working on (b) how their work relates to the theme of the Summer School; (c) their expectations from the Summer School should they be selected.
With regard to (b) applicants should challenge themselves to look critically into their work and ask themselves what role any of the issues listed below play in it:
- normative assumptions underlie your research?
- regimes of power and truth, but also resistance and contention, speak through your research?
- does the idea that “knowledge is political” mean in your research, and how do you go about it? and
How “objective” are the standards for the validation of your research findings?
- Curriculum vitae
- One letter of recommendation from the candidate’s institution of affiliation
- A copy of the applicant’s passport
Deadline: Applications for the 5TH CODESRIA/CASB Summer School close on June 30th, 2022.